true bypass Boss

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JensCambre, Feb 16, 2014.

1. JensCambre

JensCambre

What is the easiest/cheapest way to make my Boss odb-3 true bypass?

2. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Easiest is most probably going to be a true bypass box/ loop

3. Si-bob

Si-bob

Why would you want to?

Easiest way (that isn't adding a TB looper), swap it for a TB pedal. There are tons that sound better!

Si

4. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

There is no "easy" way .... & why would you? It doesn't need it ... waste of time & money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JensCambre

JensCambre

It does need it... whenever i put the pedal into the pedalchain, i can hear the difference in tone when it's bypassed.

7. groooooove

groooooove

what type of difference?

sometimes an electrical problem can be the cause of what sounds like really bad bypass. i'd look into that, power supplies, ext, make sure its all working.

boss pedals are not true bypass, but their bypass is perfectly acceptable.

what i've done for years and will always do is run my entire signal through one master on/off bypass loop. for several reasons, obviously 1. that is the best bypass you can have, is your signal only going through one true bypass switch. 2. i can set up sounds with 3-4 pedals at a time and switch them all on/off at once, and the most important and most overlooked- 3. with all those pedals, power connections, patch cables, things come unplugged during performances! having one master bypass is a great backup incase things go wrong- this has saved me many times, especially in my bar-gig days where the board would get knocked around a bit more during sets, between sets, ext.

anyway, if it turns out that your power supply is okay and the pedal isin't broken, i'd agree with the others- sell it and find something that is true bypass. the dirt/overdrive market is a very big one, with new pedals constantly coming out.

good luck,

T

8. JensCambre

JensCambre

Well, the sound just loses all power... waybe i should try what you do

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the sound "loses all power", then the pedal is defective and needs repair. People don't always like Boss's bypass, but when it is working normally there is no "losing all power".

10. JensCambre

JensCambre

i've had this pedal for about 10 years and it's always been this way. I just assumed that the loss of power in the sound was due to bad bypassing.

11. mrmills

mrmills

I would agree there is somethting wrong with the bypass part of the circuit. Lots of pedals which don't use true bypass isolate whatever is plugged into the circuit using what are called buffers. These stop external circuitry (like the pickups) from changing how the circuit works as well as stopping the workings of the pedal from affecting things outside it.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Sell it and get a better pedal?

13. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I'm a pretty obsessive 'signal snob' & the Boss buffer is really good! I get to listen to this stuff in pro studio environments on amazing monitors & I can't really detect a tonal difference until there are 4 or more of them in a chain. I'm guessing the pedal is defective, underpowered or some other issue.

14. JensCambre

JensCambre

I'm pretty sure it's defective then. So i'm guessing i'm gonna need to spend some money...