True Detective

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Milk, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Anyone started watching this new show (HBO)? Yeah you're thinking like...hmm ANOTHER detective show? No thanks, ill pass. I know, i thought the same. But you'd be wrong. See it's actually well written with actual you know...characters? At least, two episodes in that's my opinion so far.

It's Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey in the lead roles. Two actors it's hard not to like (I mean yeah McConaughey did a bunch of stupid romcoms and he's always shirtless everywhere but it's been obvious to me for years the guy is both a great actor and smart). As for Harrelson, i don't know anyone who doesn't like this guy though McConaughey has the best character in the two (in my opinion). It's set in Louisiana, starts modern day but the two (retired) detectives are being interrogated by working detectives about a case they worked on in 1995. So the show alternates between 1995 and the modern day interrogation. It's a pretty serious and kinda dour show I suppose but good... The two characters are partners of course and with very different views (on religion among other things, one thing this forum sure likes to talk about...) which is the classic recipe for sure but here it's handled in a realistic and smart way instead of you know..buddy cop movies.

Anyway, if you're not watching yet, catch it and well...catch up too, first....
  2. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I've been watching it. So far it's fairly interesting. The writing is definitely on par with other HBO dramas of the past few years. And I feel like the showrunners are treating the audience like adults. I'm sticking with the show for the time being.
  3. ZenG

ZenG

I probably would watch it......except for the fact that network television is turning me away from watching anything these days because there are emphatically way too many commercials..

and it's not just the commercial breaks......I find the "pop-up" banner ads to be totally thoroughly annoying.

So I keep my viewing to as little as I need....
  4. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I'm the enemy of television shows. I'll wait until it's cancelled or goes away, then find the whole thing on netflix or hulu. At least, I'll wait until there's a season or two in the can before I start watching. There's just too much out there in good shows that you don't have to deal with "cliffhangers", commercials, repeated episodes during the season, etc. I have 5 or six shows on my mental "gotta check that one out" list that are 100% finished and up online. I haven't seen this one, but you've already made my case by saying "so far...". You're somewhat hooked, and now are sort of at their mercy, likely willing to sit through "meh" episodes waiting for them to bring back the fire that drew you in. Mrs. Basscooker fell into that trap and renewed our subscription to a premium channel just so she could watch the next season of one show. I cancelled it anyway, and now pay less for hulu, and have tons of good shows to watch, instead of paying for just one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Wifey is totally engrossed so by default I've picked up the basic plot line and interplay between the two main players.

I've never been fan of serial TV because it is (usually) so predictable, or I wind up missing enough I lose interest in trying to fill in the blanks.

That said, I do like a good corker of a mystery and what I've seen of TD so far it still has promise in that respect. Since I'd have to leave the room when it's on if I didn't want to see it, I remain ATM a captive member of it's audience.
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I'm generally that way too. To be honest i barely watch tv shows. I started watching this cause my gf watched it the first two weeks and told me i should so i caught up. I kinda hate doing the whole waiting for a half a year to a year thing before the next season. Even week by week i find annoying. Even when i do follow a show that's still on, i tend to wait until the season is over and then binge watch. I started watching Lost before it's last season (binge watched for days) and thank god i didnt have to go through years of wondering what this or that was all about. There's maybe half a dozen tv shows in history i've seen all the episodes of. And as for shows i started watching from nearly the beginning, aside from this and Sherlock i cant think of anything else. I usually come in after it's over or a few seasons in.

I wish american tv was more like british tv in that, in britain seasons of shows are between 6 to 12 episodes at the most and they tend to not keep it going forever until the show has been run to the ground and people lost interest. 2 or 3 season of half a dozen episodes is usually about as long as their shows will last. There's only so long you can stretch your basic plot and premise and only so far you can develop your characters. In america its let's make 20 episodes a year and keep it going until the show doesn't even remember what it was supposed to be about in the first place... Lost lasted way too long, X-files lasted way way too long, Heroes was dead after 2 seasons, the list goes on and on. Why can't we just have something good and nice, short and sweet, neatly tied up and then leave it be? Much easier for writers to not lose the plot too. much easier to write a perfect show if you know exactly how long it's gonna last and how many episodes you have to tell your story.

The thing at least with True Detective is apparently they intend to do like American Horror story. EVery season will be new characters and new story, they'll just keep the same core cast (and writef director etc). Its also just 8 episodes. This storyline will be resolved in 6 more episodes and next season will be something else entirely. That's the kind of shows that's harder to mess up (even if American horror story's current season is the worst so far...started fine but the writers clerly dont know what to do with any of their characters)
  8. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

DVR it? I never watch anything live ever. I mean yeah you still have to fst forward but....

of course the ultimate way to wach tv shows nowadays is just to dl torrents....:-x well, no commercials, ads, nothing. And free. If i dont have the channel the show is on that's what i do anyway.
  9. stevetx19

stevetx19 Supporting Member

I can't imagine the two lead actors would stick with it for the long haul - i get the sense that this might be a one season thing, at least with these characters. This story line isn't exactly built to go on for more than a typical season.

It's a little darker than my normal go-to's for entertainment, but i'm enjoying the characters so far. I'll give it another week or two to see how it goes.
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

As i said in my too long post, it IS a one season thing. 8 episodes. Next season, new characters, new story, supposedly same cast or at least, same writer producer, director anyway. Like American Horror story.

I think Rust Cohle is an "instant classic" as a character, personally.
  11. Fragile Thunder

Fragile Thunder

I'm really enjoying this show. Great writing, great acting and a great story. I can't wait to see where it goes.
  12. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

You know that this show is on HBO, right? No commercials, no pop-up ads, etc.
  13. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

I am liking it and it keeps building I don't want to give spoilers but the show is well written and thought out. If Woody Harrelson and Matthew Mc...I can't spell his last name. Anyway they can pretty much take their pick of any movie or show so it really has to be good for them to do it.
  14. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

I just began watching first two epi's. McConnahey (sp?) is great in both time frames. This is a compelling, disturbing show. The gloomy and overcast weather in the darkest of car discussions are a master stroke. Characters are excellent. I'm Hooked. I'll be marathon watching the rest this weekend.

Four and a half stars for first two epi's.
  15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

It was good.
  16. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Loved the show and recommend it to anyone. McCaughnahey is excellent. The writing is excellent. Everything was great imo.
  17. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

They aren't bringing mcconahey or Harrelson back. I don't know if this will be done in anthology style, but they seemed to wrap the current plot line up in this season's 8 episodes.
  18. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Something kept nagging me about this story and when they did the long shot of carcosa, showing the concentric rings, I realized it was the spitting image of a place described in a Peter Straub book I read a lonnnnng time ago. If I recall correctly it was set on the north atlantic seaboard, but beyond that and the description of the unholy place, I can't recall any other details from the book.

Also, I'm trying to decide if the blue vortex Rus saw just before he was attacked was one of his hallucinations or a depiction of the split between two worlds where pure evil crossed between those worlds. The cryptic statement from the old domestic that "death is not the end" makes me wonder.

Last of all, I was pulling for Rus until he broke down at the end and wished he'd been able to remain in that dark place where he felt the presence of his dad and daughter.
  19. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Oh i thought this thread was gone. Good.

Well the author is into Lovecraft (and apparently Ligotti too, who ive not read). I've read a bunch of interviews with him. Really interesting guy. I mean i think the portals were just hallucinations but its also obviously symbolic.

I was certain they were gonna kill Rust, maybe even Marty too. For a second at the end when they're hurt i thought they'll die there and nobody will ever know what they or Eroll did because that's the way any Lovecraftian story has to end, death or insanity. But i'm glad they didn't take that obvious route. Some interpreted the ending as that Rust had a religious moment in the end, not really. It was about everything and everyone being part of a universal whole to which we'll return once dead. Not as entities, just particles. The scientific afterlife.