1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

True flat setting for Mesa Walkabout......

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by two fingers, Nov 27, 2012.

1. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Supporting Member

I recently read a quote from Mr.Bear in another thread about EQ settings. He made a great point. Many amps have a "baked in" EQ when the knobs are set to "flat". There may be a boost of lows and highs according to him (and who better to know, right?). So, for those of you familiar with the Walkabout, is this the case? If I am setting everything to "0", is it really flat (no boost or cut on any frequency range)? If not, what would get me as close to flat as possible?

Thanks!

2. freu

freu

I have done a year ago a comparison between the Mesa Boogie M9 and a Glockenklang system (Soul 2 and Take Five 4*10 cab).
    During the test I had a EBS Multidrive in operation.
    I have found that Glockenklang with enabled multidrive (tubesim mode) was very similar to the sound of a flat set M9.
    I would guess that the M9 has also flat, a bass boost and treble cut and a slight compression.

3. bassboysam

bassboysam

Bass and Treble at noon, mids at 10 o'clock and the parametric eq at noon is as flat as i can get the WA.

4. Alexander

Alexander

+1

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

7. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

The Walkabout has a slight mid bump... turn the passive mid control down a touch to about 10:00.

After that, don't obsess about "flat"... EQ to how you like the sound for the room your in.

8. two fingers

Good point. I just like to START flat as possible and dial in a room from there.

Thanks!

9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

If that true its really different from other Mesa heads, all of the one I've used have a substantial, but tasty, scoop when set flat.

10. two fingers

Short aside. Me and my three year old have spent hours laughing at the Muppets "munumunuh"(sp) video used as your avatar. Good times.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Do doo da do dooo :)

12. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

I'm surprised.

I've never had a Walkabout on the bench, but to my ear, it sounds like it has at least a moderate scoop.

13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The Walkabout is definitely a mid-machine! That's one of the reasons the M-pulse 600 is a poor substitute in my limited experience- more powerful, but too fat and potentially muddy when pushed where the Walkabout gets very mid-focused as you crank it.