1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Truss Rod adjustment- Gap at eighth fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by twisty4678, Mar 7, 2014.

1. twisty4678

twisty4678

Hey everyone- I'm trying to figure out the best way to setup my basses. I know that many of you advocate for just feeling it out, but I really like going in with a precise plan. I have read the guides posted in the FAQ, but I'm still having issues.

I really like the way that fender recommends setting up the truss rod- using a capo and fretting at the last fret, and measuring the gap between the 8th fret and the string with a feeler gauge. However, I have a couple of questions. I should preface by stating my goal is to get the lowest action I can get with only slight buzz.

1. Fender recommends the following gap measurements for this gap: Neck Radius
    7.25" .014" (0.35 mm)
    9.5" to 12" .012" (0.3 mm)
    15" to 17" .010" (0.25 mm)

For those of you who also prefer to be more precise, what size gap do you use on your basses? Are these a recommendations a pretty good starting point?

2. I have a bass with a compound radius, which of the above recommended measurements would I use?

3. For those of you who think that I should just feel it out, what are the signs that you have gone past the sweet spot, and now need to add relief?

Thanks for the help!

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

The neck relief is not all that important. 0.3 mm should do. I always set relief somewhere between 0.25 and 0.4 mm. More important for getting a low action, is the hight of the saddles. That's the adjustment that matters. Don't forget to check intonation after adjusting the hight.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

I use a slightly different measuring point:
    Capo the first fret, fret at the thirteenth fret and measure between the string and fret 6. With that system, I shoot for between 4 and 6 thousandths of an inch, depending on the bass.

You know you've gone too far if the strings start to buzz too much at the higher frets.

Try the lowest setting first and back it off a bit if you need to.

4. MrTaff

MrTaff

I like an almost flat neck & low action, with a 15" radius I aim for around 0.15mm relief.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

7. twisty4678

twisty4678

Thanks for the advice guys. It's nice to know some of you measure it out as well. I will report back when my new strings arrive and I am able to set some time aside to setup :)

8. Troels Schmidt

Troels Schmidt

Rickenbacker recommends a perfectly straight neck... no relief.