Truss Rod and Tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Purple_Coyote, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Purple_Coyote

Purple_Coyote

Hello!
    Three months ago, l bought for my 5-string Cort Curbow a new set of strings (d'addarioXL). Then l joined a doom/stoner band. The 2 guitars and me, tune our instruments at C standard. The way l tune my 5-string bass is: from B.E.A.D.G. --> C.F.A#.D#.G.
    So, l tune half a tone up instead of going 4 down. The type of my strings is "fat" (l remember they had on store available and a thiner version). After these tree months, l think my bass neck needs to be re adjusted, because when l play on the first fret of every string the sound is weird. And also when i switch back to standard tuning, it feels like all strings are on the neck and they feel very loose when playing. Soooo.. any advice? Is truss rod the problem?

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Before you tinker with anything, watch these four videos:

Also read the setup stickies at the top of this thread. Then you will be able to better diagnose the problem.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

What is weird? Does it buzz? Waver? How does it sound different?
    Of course it does. There is less tension on the strings.
    It might be the solution. Not enough data here to diagnose anything.

4. Purple_Coyote

Purple_Coyote

I messed with my truss rod, fixed the issue. :hyper:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

Extra tension will bow the neck more, it needs adjusted to remove fret-buzz.