1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Truss Rod Maxed for RBV

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bachlover, Mar 8, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I don't want to tighten my TR for my Roscoe Beck V anymore for fear of snapping something. I understand that adding a washer will give more turns. Any tips on how to do this? Should I take the neck off? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. bcbassman

bcbassman

Yes, you should remove the neck to do this.
    I don't remember which type of Truss rod Fender is using in the Roscoe Beck, but you can add a washer under the adjusting nut to give your rod more "purchase" in its ability to increase the back bow on the neck.

One thing to consider is that you must completely loosen the rod in order to do this. Loosening a maxed out rod can be a good idea in itself.

Often a truss rod and the neck it is in, just need some time to recover after being maxed out. Often when you do this the neck responds and becomes more responsive w/o the washer. But installing a washer will do no harm as long as it is small enough and it fits over the rod.

Be careful and if you don't feel confident in this kind of job. Take it to a pro repairman.

3. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Thanks! I took it to a tech (check out my full post in the basses section, "Roscoe Beck Forum?"). He just put some silicon on the end of the nut and then OVERtightened it, so I guess I wasn't even close to the max. :oops: He also said it's very rare for these things to snap.