1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Truss rod not tightening

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jan 26, 2014.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    I'm trying to straighten out a Precision neck removing relief. This neck adjusts at the headstock. I've incrementally gone 3/4 of the way around and the rod still turns freely with no increasing resistance and the neck has not moved as far as I can tell.
    I've had maxxed out trussrods before but this is the direct opposite.
    I R baffled :confused:
  2. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Maybe the nut has come unscrewed from the rod? I'd keep going for awhile until you feel some resistance. Or you could try turning it in a counterclockwise direction until/if you feel that little catch that indicates the threads have engaged and then try again.
  3. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Another full turn and finally some resistance! I was afraid to keep going. Letting it sit for a while. This bass is 30 years old and it has never been adjusted:eyebrow:
  4. megafiddle

megafiddle

Since it is 30 years old, and already loose, I would remove the nut and apply some
    light grease to the threads. If there is a bearing washer under the nut, the contacting
    surfaces between the washer and nut could use a little bit of grease also.

-