1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Truss rod nut spins but is stuck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by inframan, Mar 25, 2014.

1. inframan

inframan

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I searched TB and didn't find this exact situation.

Picked up a used squier p, ~2000 made in China, nice condition but it has the typical neck bow. I adjusted the truss rod and got it flat. It was getting pretty tight before I could get a back bow in to it so I stopped, didn't want to break the truss rod.

So I figured the thing to do would be remove the truss nut, clamp the neck and add a washer or two. Problem is that once I backed off the nut I can't get it out, also I can't get it to engage the truss rod. I think its stuck in a void, it spins freely. The hole for the nut is smaller than the nut itself, not sure how they got it in there.

Two quick questions, is the truss rod nut removable on this bass? I'm guessing so since it seems to spin free at this point. If it is removable, do I need to drill/dremel out the hole?

2. David Jayne

David Jayne

You guessed it. There is a slight chance that if you can get it turned 90˚it will fit through the hole, if you can grab it with needle pliers or tweezers or something.

3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Yeah, they put that cute brown dress-up hole insert in there after the rod is in place and it stops you from removing the nut. you'd have to drill it out carefully.

Other than that once you get the allen wrench into the nut you should be able to get it started again after some fiddling and cussing.

4. Bobster

Bobster

This may help, it's a pretty good walkthrough.

Bob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. inframan

inframan

No plastic plug, just wood. Hard to get a good shot but here's an attempt to show what I'm dealing with. I'll be able to clamp and possibly drill/dremel this weekend.

[​IMG]

7. David Jayne

David Jayne

Yup, you'll have to dremel it out with a small stone or mini sanding drum. Once it's out you'll be able to clean up the hole with a drill if you want to.
    Make sure you knock the edge off the corners of the drill bit so it doesn't snag and possible split the wood.

8. deeptubes

deeptubes

It looks like it has pulled into the truss slot under the fretboard. Not good.

9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

I think this. The rod is naturally arced in its curved channel. Therefore the end of it points up.

When they make them, they bore too small an access hole. The rod is laid into the neck, and then the fretboard is glued down. The small access hole is sufficient to get a wrench into the nut but not remove it.

because of the slanted upward nut, the wrench is slanted upward when adjusting. I see in the pic that wood is chewed up at the top if the access hole from it being at an angle in the access hole.

You have removed it from the rod and there it is, caught in between. Because the rod end is pointing slightly up, you can't get it started again.

I would get a ball ended Allen wrench and try to get it started on the rod again first. The ball will allow you to tilt it up to try and get it started. It may take some trying, flipping the neck some swearing some walking away and trying again later. I do think that you can get it back on though. If not drill the hole out. Go slow.

10. inframan

inframan

good info guys, thanks.

11. inframan

inframan

Got the nut off the truss rod, but it looks like the first couple threads on the rod are marred, the nut is good. Its the kind that slides around in the neck. There was one washer on there already.

I was thinking of drilling a hole at the heel, removing the truss rod to recut/cleaning up the threads, plug the hole with a dowel at the end. Any reason I shouldn't try it?

12. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Nope IMO, that's the long -but correct- way of doing it.

The quick way would be to use the StewMac TR thread die, but cross-threading the TR is a strong possibility, and then You would have to remove (and replace) the TR anyway.

Regards
    Sam

13. Bobster

Bobster

14. inframan

inframan

This truss rod was completely different from that fender.
    This almost worked but the neck started to split during the operation. :bawl: I was banging on it too much. I'm just gonna stalk ebay for a replacement. Would an SX neck fit in an affinity body?

Thanks for the guidance everyone, its been a good learning experience.

15. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

You could probably buy a new FX for the price of a good replacement neck. I hear they are usually better than Squiers anyway.

16. inframan

inframan

I dove back in. I figured I had nothing to lose at this point, I had some wood glue so I figured I could fill the crack and see if it holds.

Getting the truss rod out was a pain, I had to use a superlong drill bit to push the truss rod through. This bashed the threads a bit, had to use a dye to get the nut back on. Finally had to clamp the neck to get the nut to spin far enough to get a back bow. Pain in the ass but at least its playable now.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Congrats on working this out and being persistent. Well done!