Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Hey guys,

This probably seems like a bit an :eyebrow: sort of question, but: I have this old beater yamaha bass I'd like do a set up on, because the current one is atrocious.

I've never done a set up before, and all the videos and guides use basses with truss rods at the nut. This bass has it at the other end however near the pickups.

The strings when I do the whole capo on the first fret deal are touching the frets, so I need to loosen(?) the truss rod. Which way do i turn it? Is it counter clockwise like on a nut access one, or clockwise because its at the other end?

Thanks guys
  2. megafiddle

megafiddle

Clockwise and counterclockwise are always as you are facing the truss rod nut.
    So if the adjusting nut is at the neck heel, it would be as you are facing the neck
    from body end of the neck.

So to loosen the truss rod, you turn the nut counterclockwise as you are facing it.

Are you sure that the strings are low because of the neck relief?
    In other words, with the string pressed down at 1st fret and also at the last fret,
    the string is touching the frets at the midpoint between the 1st and last frets?
    Or are the strings touching the frets with only the capo on at
    the 1st fret?
  3. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Well, I recently placed new strings on it, moving to a higher gauge stainless steel. I am 99% certain there is an undue level of tension
  4. megafiddle

megafiddle

Higher tension strings will increase the relief or bow in the neck.
    With the string pressed down at the 1st and last fret, is there any gap between the
    string and the 7th fret? That gap, if there is any, is the relief. There should be a tiny
    amount, about .010". That's about the thickness of a business card.
    That's the first thing to check.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

There is not, sorry that I was a tad vague in the op. That is what I wish to remedy, the fact that there is no relief
  7. megafiddle

megafiddle

Ok, then you want to loosen the truss rod, turn it counterclockwise as you are facing it.
    Try about 1/8th of a turn at a time and check the relief after each adjustment.
  8. BAce

BAce

If you've loosened off the truss rod nut all the way (but not rattling) and the neck still doesn't have enough relief you can place a shim in the neck pocket. About the thickness of a business card, about 2 1/4" by 1/2". Place this in the neck pocket right over the two screw holes FURTHEST away from the bridge. Re-install the neck and you should have about as much relief as the thickness of the shim you just installed. Not a perfect solution but it will work if you were fairly close with the truss rod nut loosened off all the way.
  9. megafiddle

megafiddle

Also important, how was the string height (action height) at the the 17th fret?
    There is a certain amount of interaction between action height and relief.
    Changing one will affect the other. Also one has to be reasonably correct before
    adjusting the other.

So you want the action height to be reasonably correct (about 1/8") before adjusting
    the relief.