Truss Rod - ran out of stroke

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jim Mass, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Jim Mass

Jim Mass

Hi,
    I have a 5-string Fender Mexi Jazz which, and the truss rod seems to need just a bit more turning to get the neck just right. Trouble is, it seems as though there's no more adjustment left - nor more threads. Luthier's advice is to let the neck in the sun for an extended period, bring it to him, and he would try to bend it back under pressure. This scares me.
    Has anybody run across this 'out of truss rod adjustment' issue? Maybe a spacer under the nut could help? What's the right thing to do?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Bingo. FWIW, your luthier scares the hell outta me, too.

Riis

3. Jim Mass

Jim Mass

OK, this time in English...
    Hi,
    I have a 5-string Fender Mexi Jazz. The truss rod seems to need a bit more tightening to get the neck just right. Trouble is, it seems as though there's no more adjustment left - no more threads. Luthier's advice is to let the neck sit in the sun for an extended period, bring it to him, and he would try to bend it back under pressure. This scares me.
    Has anybody run across this 'out of truss rod adjustment' issue? Maybe a spacer under the nut could help? What's the right thing to do?
    Thanks,
    Jim

4. Jim Mass

Jim Mass

Thanks for the fast response! You responded before I could fix my lousy spelling and grammar.
    Do you think this is something I could do myself? Any trick to taking the nut all the way out to insert the spacer? Should I buy the spacer someplace, or make one myself? What thickness for the spacer, do you think? maybe 1/16" or so?
    Thanks again.
    - Jim

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I believe you can do it yourself...provided the truss rod nut is removable (single acting truss rod). Check the specs or ask on any of the Fender fan-sites. Very common issue. Once the nut is removed, take it to Home Depot and check the washer bins: IIRC the correct size is "M5" where the outer and inner diameters match. I've gone as far as to grind off material to custom-fit the truss rod recess. Two washers at most should be plenty. Don't forget to lube the nut before re-introducing. I like graphite powder.

Riis