1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Truss rod tool for wheel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StuartV, Nov 20, 2013.

1. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

My EBMM Sterling needs a truss rod tweak. It has a wheel at the base of the neck. It did not come with any kind of tool for turning that wheel.

Is there a special tool I should get from some where?

I have a bunch of different sized hex wrenches, so I know I have one that could be fit in there, but I'm afraid the corners of the hex wrench will make marks in the wheel holes.

I'm pretty sure I also have a screw driver that would fit, but I think all my screwdrivers are also hex shaped. And even if I have a round one, unless it's the exact size of the truss rod wheel hole, it still seems like it could booger it up.

My Sterling is a Limited Edition and all the hardware is gold, including the wheel, so I really don't want to scuff it up or booger it up.

Help?
  2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    I use a tiny phillips screwdriver.
  3. StuartV

Thanks, Stone.

And it doesn't make any kind of mark in the hole or make the hole start to wallow out?
  4. spade2you

spade2you

I somehow got one with one of my Peavey Millennium basses and I cling to it for dear life.
  5. StuartV

Aha! Now that you mention it, I knew I had adjusted a wheel like this before, but couldn't remember which bass it was on. Yes. My Millennium is the one. But, I don't have the special tool for that one, either.

So, do you know if the tool for the Peavey is the same size that is needed for an EBMM?
  6. Yango

Yango

Even on the EBMM site, they recommend using a small screwdriver. That's the beauty of their system—you don't need a special tool—you can use anythig that will fit in the hole. It's brilliant.

I use a small phillips screwdriver, I also have a 2 1/2" nail with the point cut off, that I keep in my gig bag. Both work like a charm.

...But I'm certain if you search long enough, you'll find a specialized tool for only $60.00 that will do the same thing...
  7. wvbass

wvbass

I thought the advantage of the wheel was that you didn't need a special tool.
  8. StuartV

I have used a hex wrench on my Peavey before. My Sterling, being a gold-plated LE, I am a tiny bit more concerned about scuffing it up - particularly, the gold plating.

I know I can DO it with a hex wrench or screwdriver or whatever. I just figured if there is a tool that is round and exactly the right size for those holes, that would be the least likely to leave a mark.

I will scrounge up a round barreled screwdriver to use. I've got a crap-ton of tools, I'm sure I must have one somewhere that will work.

Thanks, guys(?)! :)
  9. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Wrap tape around the metal part of the screwdriver.
  10. StuartV

Good call, mjac. Thanks!
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

When I got my MM years ago, the EB site said to use a nail. :eek:

Strangely, the first one I dug up was a perfect fit. I blunted the point and have kept a few handy in the bench cabinet.
  12. spade2you

spade2you

I think so. I recall using it on my Sterling when I briefly had one.
  13. Bobster

Bobster

The Ray35 I owned came with a chrome rod about 6" long and about 1/16" in diameter.

That worked great.

Bob
  14. nurnay

nurnay

15. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I own a circa 2000 SR5, which has the same finish. I've cleaned the neck with Murphy's oil soap, then sanded and refinished the neck, per a video EBMM put out a while back. Made the neck feel better, but that neck, compared to pretty much any other neck I've played, needs adjusting all the time. It was my sole bass for a long time, and I thought it was normal, but it's just ridiculous. Any change in atmosphere or weather would cause the neck to change. It may have only been a small amount, but it was still there.
  16. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

In an industrial setting, I've used a pin punch for this type of application. I don't have an EBMM but I'd imagine it's probably something like 3/32" or 1/8". These are about $3-4 if you want to get fancy. You could use a drill bit to size it, if this is the way you want to go.

Otherwise, the nail would probably cost all of five cents at the hardware store.
  17. neptoon

neptoon

i was going to suggest teflon tape
  18. StuartV

Interesting. I was thinking maybe it's because the wood is not sealed like a painted neck.

But, I checked my Peavey Millennium, which has a solid birdseye maple neck and fretboard, and the finish has the same feel as my Sterling (i.e. almost like bare wood). The Mill and the Sterling has been side by side from CA to VA and hang side by side in my office. Where the Sterling action became fairly high since I moved to VA, the Millennium neck appears to have not moved at all. Even more surprising considering what I've read from other people alleging that birdseye maple is not a great choice for a neck because it is "less stable".
  19. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I think you're right- the EBMM necks are essentially unfinished, and are more susceptible to changes in weather. Mill necks are probably finished in satin/matte polyurethane, which feels just as good as the EBMM neck, but keep the adjustments to a minimum.
  20. StuartV

Another Score +1 for US-made Peavey! ;)