Truss rod trouble with Fender jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 1SmartJosh, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 1SmartJosh

1SmartJosh

I have a 5 string Fender jazz 24 deluxe MIK. I bought it on the cheap and thought it would be a great player once the preamp was replaced. What I didn't count on was the truss rod to messed up.
    It seems that the nut is not centered in the hole and is actually pressing towards the neck (away from the fret board). It also looks like the nut may be somewhat stripped, but I am unable to tell how badly because at it's current position, I can't get a wrench all the way in it.
    Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you correct it?
  2. bumperbass

bumperbass

"I can't get a wrench all the way in it". I don't know what that means, but I tried all sorts of torx wrenches and whatever was in my toolbox when mine was stripped. Actually it was more gunk than anything else. I finally found one that grabbed well enough to get it out. Bought 2 replacement nuts for about $5 I think.
  3. 1SmartJosh

1SmartJosh

"I can't get a wrench all the way in it" means that because the nut has become angled more towards the back of the neck, the allen wrench in prevented from sliding straight in, and hits the wooden slot.
  4. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Maybe a ball end allen would work, if that's the case