1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Truss rod won't move...now what?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by powmetalbassist, Aug 25, 2013.

1. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Ok, so bought a bass on here a little while ago, early 90's stock bass, got her home, tried to do a basic setup and found the trussrod won't move more than an inch either way. Is there anything I can try without tearing the neck apart to get the truss rod moving (lube it if you will?)

Come on experts of Talkbass.

I'm no luthier, so my knowledge of how to fix this is limited.
  2. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

An inch either way? You should be good as you shouldn't need to turn that thing more than an inch EVER
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

What exactly do you mean by an inch?
  4. powmetalbassist

I mean it won't move much " a small amount in either" direction than it stops moving.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Can you see the truss rod thread? Not knowing what kind of bass you have...
  6. powmetalbassist

It's an old 1990ish Cort Space Arrow (headless bass)
  7. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

Its apparent that you are using a figure of speech.

I'm not a luthier but I've set up my guitars and basses for 30 years and this is what I do:

I'd loosen your strings first then help the neck a bit in the direction you are going with the truss and gently see if it moves any more. Go back and forth a few times in each direction helping it each way by gently pushing the neck either back or forward depending on the direction you are going with the truss.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Precision in the information you provide leads to more accurate answers. The opposite is also true.

What would I do?

First, determine whether truss rod adjustment is even needed. If not, stop here.

If so, then....

1) Invert the bass so the end of the truss rod is exposed
    2) Dip a toothpick or Q-tip into a small pool of penetrating oil and dab the ends of the threads if exposed...if not, try to get some over the nut onto the threads. It will run downwards anyway.
    3) Walk away for 24 hours
    4) Attempt to loosen the truss rod a turn or two
    5) Then tighten, but carefully.

It would help to see a photo of the truss rod.
  9. powmetalbassist

When I get home tonight, I am going to try this. thx Pilgrim. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
  10. powmetalbassist

Awesome. it worked. truss rod moves again. a little wd40, some patience and a little working of the rod and things seem to be back to normal. Thanks again, I thought I had bought my first lemon.