1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

truss rod wrenches

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by groooooove, Jan 22, 2014.

1. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I also want to start doing my own setups but don't know what wrenches to get?

3. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

just started setting up my basses 2day actually. i just went to ace hardware to get;
    a feeler gauge (.008 mostly for setting relief), a set of allen wrenches, a metal 6" ruler
    that has 32nds & 64ths and an 18in. straight edge. i used to go to Carl Pedigo "the bass doctor", he is kind to give us this video demonstration and a great dude!

http://www.bassguitarvideo.com/bass-setup-with-carl-pedigo-part-1-of-2/

4. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

oh, for part 2 click bass setup at the top

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

7. pfox14

pfox14

StewMac's tools are top notch and I would highly recommend them. However, you can find long shaft ball-end hex wrenches just about anywhere.

8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Neither set includes the 9/64" inhex (Allen) used by Roscoe...

9. groooooove

there will always be some companies out there using some weird size you'll need to get a specific tool for..

my question is primarily about ball end VS straight rods.

i've always used straight ones, but had single wrenches here and there. i'd like to be more properly equipped (in my teaching gig bag) to work on students guitars for them.

i know how to do a setup, i've been doing my own for ~10 years now. i've just never had a full set of tools, sadly enough!

i ordered the ernie ball set, mostly because it comes in a neat little case that i think will fit in my gigbag i bring to work.

10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

For my current basses (hardly a representative sample!) the short leg of a straight Allen is needed. I have a few sets of Allens with a ball end on the long leg and straight on the short. It's a nice feature.

11. SirMjac28

So what size do I need for Fender basses?

12. P Town

P Town Guest

My Am Dlx Fender P, and J, and MIM J all require a 3/16 inch. I don't own any Asian made Fenders, and wont assume they are the same.

Also, buy American made wrenches, not cheap ones from you-know-where.

13. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

If looking for a specific Allen-Style hex wrench, you may want to check out "Tacoma Screw" and inquire as to whether they ship outside the Pacific Northwest. These guys rock! They sell single hex wrenches, SAE or metric. If you desire ball-ends, the Bondhus brand they carry will be a bit more pricey, like a few bucks!

http://www.tacomascrew.com/

Grainger sells single-sizes as well, but in packs of 10, though not expensive, either.

14. P Town

P Town Guest

15. groooooove

an update for this thread-

i got my "ernie ball musicians toolkit" yesterday.

it may seem stupid, $30 for basically a set of wrenches pliers and a screwdriver set, but i'm so happy i got it.

i was able to do a full setup on: two of my boutique basses, my USA fender, a jay turser beatle bass copy, a squire guitar, and my Godin 5th ave guitar.

it comes with those ernie ball wipes, which i doubt i'll use, or if i do i wont replace them, but that little pocket is a perfect place for a spare battery.

the one thing it doesn't come with that you need for setups is a tuner... obviously for string changing, intonation, ext. but i doubt anyone getting into doing their own setups doesn't own a tuner...

highly recommended. here's the link i bought mine from:

http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-41...1390837921&sr=8-1&keywords=musicians tool kit