truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HalfPlayer, Jul 19, 2013.

1. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

I was wondering how hard is it to break your truss rod
  2. David Jayne

David Jayne

If you have average strength, you can do it fairly easily. Why?
  3. ridethespiral

ridethespiral Supporting Member

It will certainly fight back before it breaks. If it's fighting back, STOP!

Also when tightening the truss rod, I like to loosen the strings and put the bass on the ground between my legs holding the body with my feet and use my knee as a fulcrum while pushing on the headstock. This will allow you to tighten the trussrod without the trussrod doing the actual work.
  4. HalfPlayer

HalfPlayer

Not that I want to break it but I am going to be adjusting it for the first time and I want to be careful
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

If you're nervous about it, loosen it by a quarter-turn first. That will give you a feel for how much friction you should feel. When you tighten it back up a bit, if you feel considerably more tension that that, stop.
  7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

If it squeaks, stop. That is the same sound (different pitch) that tightening a lug nut makes when changing a tire. If that sound is unfamiliar, it might be best to take the instrument to a professional and ask them to do it while you watch.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

9. ridethespiral

ridethespiral Supporting Member

You can't remove the nut from a two-way action trussrod, just something to keep i mind