Truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wallygator, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Wallygator

Wallygator

Hey there,

Is there an advantage to have the truss rod access located at the heel. I own both a MIM P and a MIA P and it's always a PIA to adjust the MIA. It got me to thinking, is there an advantage to having access at the heel? or is it just because that was the original design?
  2. P Town

P Town Guest

My MIA P, and J have a hex socket nut at the heel, and I use the ball end T handle hex wrench without any problem.

If you have the old slotted nut, and have to remove the pick guard to make the adjustment, you could buy a replacement pick guard, and cut a space for the screw driver.

You may also be able to replace the slotted head nut with a hex socket type, but I have never investigated this, so I can't say for sure.

I can't think of any reason why the adjusting nut would work better on one end compared to the other.
  3. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

My MIA came with a T handled allen to adjust it. IF you need to turn it more than one flat, it is actually easier with the T than a standard allen on the MIM. Probably easier to repair the heel end in the event it needs dug out of there.