1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Truss rods maxed out, neck still bent - PLEASE HELP !!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Airfish, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Airfish

Airfish

Hi there.

I don´t know much about instrument setup, so please forgive my probably stupid question....

I have the truss rods on my bass (almost) maxed out (maximum tension) and the neck is still bent into a U-shape. Is there anything a luthier could do with that, or there´s no point asking him and I should just use that instrument as firewood? :atoz:

It´s a 6-string Peavey Grind Bass, neck thru, string thru, mahogany, dual truss rod....

Thank you in advance for any advice.
  2. carvinbassplyr

carvinbassplyr

Is it a two way adjustable truss rod?
  3. Airfish

Airfish

....sorry man, no idea.... it just says "DUAL truss rod". Maybe if you exlain to me, how should the "two way" rod look/work.... ?
  4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I am unfamilliar with a dual truss rod but I have added a washer under the truss nut to my EBMM stingray to get a little more tension. Maybe this can be done. It's not firewood!
  5. Kukkiwanblack

Kukkiwanblack

I would get a luthier to look at it. Could be a natural bow in your neck. In which case it is playable but the action will be high forever. I had a similar thing happen to a warwick thumb BO 6 string. Or one of the truss rods are broken. I personally am not a fan of dual truss rods at all. Dual truss rod means their are two rods in the neck. Instead of the usual one.
  6. Airfish

Airfish

a washer? and how thick?
    btw: where is the nut on a neck-thru bass? I´ve only seen in it on bolt-on necks, but just on pictures, never disassembled the neck myself... do the neck-thru instruments have that nut at the other end of the neck, next to the head?
  7. Airfish

Airfish

yep, it is playable, but the action is really high... funny thing is, that not equally on both sides. on the B-string side the neck is almost straight, only sligtly bent between approx. the 12th and 24th fret.... the action here is relatively ok.... but on the C-string side the whole neck is bent, from 0 to 24.... and the action is bloody high....
    OK, I show it to the luthier, just needed to have an idea in advacne, whether there´s any point bothering him at all....
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

OK, I'm confused. How do you know the truss rod is maxed if you haven't located the nut to tighten it?

There is usually a small plastic cover on the headstock, under the strings. This is the truss rod cover. You would remove that to adjust the truss rod.

Check this, and let us know if there is one nut under there, or two. Dual truss rod would usually mean there are two (not uncommon on a 6er). A dual-action truss rod would be something else.

Let us know, and we'll help further. Don't burn that bass yet!
  9. musicman666

Unfortunately I have no experience with neck through basses. The washer is a great fix for fender style basses. I am sure a luthier will be able to help you out. Good luck!!
  10. musicman666

Ahhh ... so a dual truzs rod would be two rods..lol. makes total sense now.......:meh:
  11. Airfish

Airfish

oh, you mean THAT nut under the truss rod cover? sure, I seen that one and tried to adjust the neck with it - I mean with them, because there´s really two of them.... so I came to a point where they stopped (resistance too high, didn´t want to force them any more) and the neck is still bent, as I described...
  12. carvinbassplyr

carvinbassplyr

Did you try turning the treble side truss rod in the opposite direction while leaving the bass side alone?
  13. Airfish

Airfish

nope.... I turned them both in the same direction, bass, treble, bass, treble.... in small steps, like 1/8 of a turn, or even less.... now they both are stopped, the bass side bent less, the treble side more, as I wrote previously....
    So you advise me to release the tension on the treble side without releasing it on the bass side? Am I getting your point?
  14. carvinbassplyr

carvinbassplyr

Basically...
  15. Airfish

Airfish

well, sounds like a paradox, I can´t understand how I could straighten that treble side with applying less tention to it....
  16. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

I've never maxed a truss rod out, but they don't just spin freely, it does require some force to turn them. If they were spinning freely it would mean the truss rod was applying no tension whatsoever. Is it hard to turn, or impossible to turn?
  17. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Loosen the string tension.
  18. skychief

skychief Supporting Member

Give this video a look-see. He uses "back-clamping" to assist the truss rod(s) during tightening.

Ive used this method on a floppy Squier J bass neck with great results (I was very close to just using the neck as a club weapon). But now it plays great.

I'll be playing a gig with it about 5 hours! :p
  19. Airfish

Airfish

They were always a bit hard to turn, never spinning completely freely. And now they are impossible to turn....
  20. Ragoo

Ragoo

Try lower gauge (thinner) strings?