Trust me on this: don't get a kidney stone.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blastoff99, Feb 4, 2014.

1. blastoff99

blastoff99

If any of you ladies and gentlemen had been thinking that your lives were not complete until you had experienced a kidney stone, I'm here to tell you that you should consider your lives complete *right now.*

I thought I was pretty good with physical pain. I had my shoulder fixed (lots of stuff wrong with it) three or four years ago, and was back playing bass in two weeks. I had a back injury in my 20s that was pretty severe. And any number of years ago I had a big-incision hysterectomy - and only ibuprofen afterward, due to an IV failure and an aversion to narcotics. I got through it. I wasn't smiling, but I got through it.

However. The pain from a hard 2.5mm object somewhere it shouldn't be is absolutely in another league. I had no idea anything could hurt like this. It is beastly.

For the first time ever in a hospital, I gave an answer greater than "seven" when they asked me how the pain was. I said "eight" when they asked me the first time. They put .5mg Dilauded in my IV. Ten minutes later, the pain was a ten. Ten! They came in with more Dilauded. Ten minutes later, I couldn't feel my limbs. But at least the primary pain was better.

It's slightly better right now, which is the reason I'm up and typing. That's been the pattern the last three days - this is the time of day that's almost ok, and about 3:00 in the morning it'll get horrible. This morning when it got horrible I tried to walk it off, then threw up my diluted Gatorade, then got my snoring husband out of bed and told him to drive me to the hospital for my emergency appendectomy.

Fortunately, it's "only" a kidney stone. My appendix is fine. The ER doc says I probably have three more days of this before it passes, if I'm lucky. Turns out the little bugger is stuck somewhere. Meanwhile I'm in a spiral of pain, nausea, and constipation - can't take the primary pain meds without eating, can't keep anything down (even the anti-nausea drug), both the alternate pain drug and anti-nausea drug cause constipation, the anti-nausea drug causes a fierce headache... you get the idea.

Ok, back to bed. But I'll pee in a strainer first, not that it'll catch anything. I can tell you nothing's moved yet.

:(
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

I'm sorry to hear that. Get well soon!
  3. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Hang in there! I suck at pain so I'll take your advice.:eek:
  4. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

An ex roommate used to get them quite regularly. They seemed to be rather unpleasant and I'm glad I've never had one. Once you pass it, you'll feel better than you have in years. At least that's what he always said.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

Good luck and get better. I manage to get a kidney stone every 2-3 years and luckily they've never given me a pain level above a 3 or 4.
  7. electracoyote

electracoyote

I have heard the pain can be ungodly, even for those with a high threshold.

I'm reminded of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer has a stone.

Incidentally, though your suggestion to not get a kidney stone is spot-on, you offer no advice on how to avoid them. Is there a way? Did your doctor offer any preventatives?
  8. blastoff99

blastoff99

Thanks, all.

Bassguppy, if you think a kidney stone is a 3 or 4, you have an amazing pain tolerance. I salute you.

As for avoidance of kidney stones, start by not being born into the wrong family. Apparently about half the people who have kidney stones have immediate relatives who also do.

Also, knock off the carbonated drinks.

Don't have any of the wrong medical conditions - gout, for one.

Don't take any of the wrong medications.

And always drink enough water.

I am not related to the wrong people. I drink about three cans of pop a year. I don't have any of the wrong medical conditions or take any of the wrong medications. I drink lots of water. I guess I'm just lucky. Or something.
  9. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

It is not the only cause but little lesson for those drinking energy drinks all day long: it might happen to you too so stop drinking that crap.
    A 30yrs old friend of mine had a kidney stone, heads to the hospital, first words out of the doc "how many energy drinks do you have in a day?"
  10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Good info.

And good luck with the stone, I hope it passes soon and with as little pain as possible.
  11. sjeverett

sjeverett

I've had several. Like 15-20. I've only passed 2 to the outside world. The rest made it as far as my bladder then disintegrated. My urologist suggested drinking large quantities of lemomade. The citric acid dissolved them. I went to E.R. with the first and admitted overnight with #10. Both times I was given morphine. That stuff was the only drug that truely helped. Vicodin only kept the pain to a dull roar.
  12. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Kidney stones are horrid! I spent a night in the ER in September with one that got stuck en route to the exit. When they asked me where was my pain on the 1-10 scale, I answered 542 and then promptly threw up on someone's feet. Not sure whose, but those people were hopping and stepping for the next hour until the anti-nausea stuff kicked in and they had me doped up enough to be talking weirdness.
  13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

I had one several decades ago. Fortunately it dissolved when it passed through my peter.

Drink more water, less cloudy or sugary stuff.

I stopped drinking soda way long time ago.
  14. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Been there twice. Each time I could not pass it on my own so they had to go get it. Yep.... they go up your unit with a machine to retrieve it. Not fun.
  15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I know one guy who had stones and they put him in a tub with an ultrasonic device that pulverized them, so they came out like fine sand. Someone else had some and her health care providers took a long time to find out that the blockage was in her ureter. She was miserable the whole time before they found them, but was a happy camper once the whole ordeal was over.

Good luck with this.
  16. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

BTDT around 2008 or 2009. Found that taking 3 aleve 2x/day allowed me to work even with the stone. I was drinking about 4-5 20+ oz energy drinks/day which is what caused it.

Citric acid will dissolve a good bit of kidney stones, so water with lemon juice in it is a good start. They are most certainly not fun to have.
  17. stratovani

stratovani

My wife had one last summer. I didn't think it was possible for a person to suffer like this outside of a gunshot would. She told me later that having children was a piece of cake compared to passing a kidney stone.
  18. sjeverett

sjeverett

I still cant drink country time lemonade after having stones. No telling how many gallons I drank trying to dissolve them.
  19. blastoff99

blastoff99

Status update:

It has moved to another location, further downstream. This location is much less sensitive than the last place it got stuck - they said in the ER that where it was yesterday was a particularly painful spot for a kidney stone to loiter. Don't get me wrong; I can still feel this and it isn't pleasant, but at least it's moving in the right direction.

As an aside: this may be TMI, but I thought some of you might find it as amusing as I did. One of the 'side effects' of a kidney stone can be constipation. And if the kidney stone doesn't do it, the anti-nausea and pain meds certainly will. So the ER doc said I should take Miralax. I'd never heard of the stuff, but ok. Turns out it's a powder that you stir into water. It dissolves completely so it's not like drinking sawdust.

Last night I looked at the bottle to see what is actually in it. The active ingredient is polyethylene glycol. Being somewhat of a 'car guy,' this rang a bell. I showed the bottle to my husband, who immediately said, "I guess you can sleep outside tonight. You'll be good down to -16F."

I know, I know: POLY-. Still, I found it a tad alarming....
  20. groooooove

groooooove

it's crazy what they end up putting in you..

my mom had a staph infection a few months ago. she complained of a similar thing about the meds- theres so many of them, keeping any, even the nati nausia stuff down, is impossible.

one thing to focus on during unpleasant pain- "this WILL be over soon." last time i had a bad hangover (i know it's not anywhere near the same thing) i kept focusing on knowing that the next day i would not feel the way i did at that time.

and how the hell does one avoid a kidney stone? drinking lots of water every day? i'm good with that so...hopefully i never have one.
  21. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

My roommate's doctor had him drink lots of unsweetened cranberry juice.