1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Trying to choose a practice amp that can handle small shows too

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dangorange, Nov 20, 2012.

1. dangorange

dangorange

I need an amp for home use, but it would be great if it could serve as something to use for small gigs where a full rig is unnecessary and inconvenient too.

I have an Orange AD200b with a 15" cab which I am very happy with, it stays at my band's practice space though. With all these micro Class D amps out there, I'm digging the idea of a little combo amp that is light weight and powerful enough to handle a small room also, so I wouldn't have to bring the full rig out. I am open to any suggestion, but if possible I would really like to keep it to a combo since this would mostly be used at home and I want to easily drag it to different rooms.

I would love to buy used, I am keeping an eye on holiday sales/deals for new stuff. Budget is sort of open, I was thinking in the $500 neighborhood but could go up a few hundred more, or down for that matter :)

Amps I've been thinking about are the MarkBass 121p, I love the size and weight. The new GK MB112-II looks interesting and is considerably less money. I tried the TC Electronic BG250 but it didn't really do anything for me and it's a bit large, the smaller the better. The Mesa WA might be great too if I found one used, although that would be my top budget.

Since I have the Orange and would use that for most situations, I'm not looking for a 2nd rig. I even thought about a Roland micro cube since it runs on batteries and ditching the idea of the amp being anything other than a practice amp. I guess I'm confused what to get and wanted to see if anyone could chime in with a suggestion. Thanks!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

3. dangorange

dangorange

That's a good suggestion, I thought about the little Orange combos. I think if I went in that direction though, I would cheap out and get one of the little Acoustics B series. I used to have the B20 and thought it sounded good.
  4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

5. dangorange

dangorange

That's a good point, I would not always have PA support. Usually, yes, but there's definitely one room in a club we play often that the amp does all the business. However, it's a 60 person capacity basement room, tiny and it doesn't take much to fill.

I don't much about those Genz Benz, I'm actually just learning about these Class D amps, never paid much attention to be honest. The 8" speaker might be an issue with the potential lack of PA support.
  6. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

If you know you like the Orange tone, I'd look into a Terror Bass combo......
  7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Well I have some experience with that exact GB combo, and I used it on a few occasions for rehearsal with a loud drummer and 2 guitarists. As far as gigging w/o PA support, I would just ad an 8 ohm cab, ad presto you have a monster amp pumping 300 watts. I used to add a single 12" cab and it would sound nice.
  8. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I use a GK MB200 into a Kustom 115 cab, so it's almost a combo :) . All totaled it cost me a little over $250 for both, is super easy to carry around, and the weekend before last it cut through with plenty of power left to spare. I would suspect that a MB115 combo would perform similarly.

Peace,
    Greg
  9. dangorange

dangorange

I would totally get one of those, but I'd have to find one used, price is comparable to a new MESA walkabout scout I think.
  10. dangorange

dangorange

I wish stores in the area had the new GK MB series, I'd love to check one out, they all just have the earlier edition with the silver grill. I think the new ones are smaller in scale.
  11. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Ah, my bad. I didn't read the original post thoroughly.

It's those stupid isobaric cabs that makes them so damn expensive......
  12. dangorange

dangorange

yeah, I'd love to hear one though!
  13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Check out the TC Electronic BG250 combo -- 35 ppounds, 250 watts, 115. Built-in tuner and Tube Tone overdrive simulation circuit and the ability to load TonePrint effects direct to the amp. TubeTone, tuner & TonePrint all footswitchable with the optional switch. DI for PA support for gigs. I've used this with rather loud bands -- horns, keys, three guitars -- and it never breaks a sweat. Universal raves about the sound from the band members. Runs around $400. I also have Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 112T, but I prefer the TC for bottom end in a small package and the TubeTone is very cool.
  14. og61pbass

og61pbass

go online to rmcaudiodirect.com they have the new gk combos and at the best price too,the guys there are really nice and helpful,thats where i do all my gk purchasing...:)
  15. dangorange

dangorange

I'm going to give that one another look, my impression was it was a little larger than I'd like. Since I already have a good set up for shows I'm really pushing for smaller, since in all reality this amp will live next to wherever I am at home.

For some reason I keep going back to that MarkBass 121p, although I've read a lot of less than stellar remarks about the tweeter.
  16. Gaius46

Gaius46

This. I use the 3.0 head with the 8" for home practice and for the occasional acoustic set. Mated with either a 112 a 410 or both for bigger gigs. Works well without PA support with anything up to about 100 people in a large bar.
  17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

18. dangorange

dangorange

Great amp, I still think it might be a bit large, plus I'm curious about the new series of this line.
  19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

It's 35 lbs.. the next gen goes for twice as much ... If I were in your shoes I'd be all over this based on what you said you wanted. I have found it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it and with a single 35lb solution ... Unless you can find the 112 .. which is rated a little higher power wise so you will have the juice to run another cab with a bit more headroom in the future if need be.
  20. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Kind of a long ride from Massachusetts to Ohio.