1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Trying to fill more space

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

I'm currently playing in an instrumental three piece band and in a couple of songs I feel that when the guitarist is soloing the mix becomes a bit 'empty'. I was thinking of using a pedal that could play an upper octave + a 5th, just like the infamous Bass Whamy. I would like to know if there are any alternatives, as these pedals tend to be ridiculously expensive and the space in my pedalboard is limited.

2. bassbrad

bassbrad

If you can find an affordable Akai Uni-Bass it is perfect for your needs.
    There is also the EHX HOG.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure you can do octave and fifth with the smart harmony setting on the Line6 M5/9/13. My board is at my rehearsal space so I can't check for sure, but maybe someone else can chime in to confirm/deny.

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Fishman Fission as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. necropain

necropain

if you are looking to fill some space you should really try some reverb and delay

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Media:
    Ive been using a ehx Pog2 into a delay/verb, running paralell to my bass signal .. Though not the cheapest and the looper I built myself

8. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Octave pedals up or down work great. You can try overdrive and or chorus as well. Combinations of all of those three work well too.

9. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I'm in the same kind of band ....

I do a Micro POG full dry + octave up only at about 1:00 or a little less (adding the sub octave muddies it up too much) blend in a little a little Dirt (RAT clone) & reverb. all this make for a surprisingly fat sound.

Flanger as well on some songs

10. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I play in two bands: ones a three piece and one is just an acoustic guitar and me using A LOT of effects. In our three piece I use a combo of pitch-shifting, fuzz, delay, modulation, reverb and an EBOW to cover a massive amount of ground if need be....or just some ambience depending on the mood/song/tone/feel

11. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Playing power chords and strummed octaves with overdrive can go a long way. That's my go to approach. I sometimes use the octave down harmony setting on my Whammy too.

12. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Thanks for all the replies so far. I use distortion, fuzz and many other effects that have already been mentioned. My idea was to combine the pitch effect with dirt. There might be a problem though: I play in drop D and I don't know if any pedals track that low...

13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The Unibass tracks great all the way down to a low B (at least mine does), but the octave effect gets a little quieter below the E.

14. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

I've checked the Fishman Fission and it looks pretty nice. Any users here?

15. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

The Micro Pod should. It tracks great.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Get a 5 string bass and use your lower notes and add a little dirt to your tone. Mabe try midi triggered foot pedal controled keyboards.

17. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

The low-end isn't a problem. What I need is something to cover the frequency spectrum of a rhythm guitar.