Trying to rack my head but racking my brain instead.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sumaru, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Sumaru

Sumaru Supporting Member Supporting Member

SO. Bought an SKB 15 3/4" rail to rail depth 4U case, want to install Hartke HA5500 head (13"). Obvious excess depth in the case. What to do with the rear portion of the amp? Or nothing at all? Are the rackmount ears sufficient to hold the head in place? Anyone have experience with this particular (or similar) situation? :meh:
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

As long as the amp doesn't stick out of the back of the case, I don't think there's anything to worry about. The ears better be enough, since that's all I have ever had holding stuff in racks.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Mount it in the bottom space.
  4. Sumaru

No, it's the opposite of what you mentioned-the amp is a good 2 3/4" shy of the back rails. I fear no support of the back end of that heavy amp will be too much strain on the front of the rack/threads in the side of amp, and looking for either the proper solution or a workaround.
  5. Sumaru

It will definitely be in the bottom space regardless.
  6. Sumaru

That head is heavy, and I want to be sure that if someone picks that case up, even in the wrong orientation, that everything will be secure. Using only the front rails does not give me that "my gear is secured" feeling!
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sure. Rear rack ears work fine but may require a little creative machining. Penn Fab and Middle Atlantic both sell them IIRC. They tend to add a lot more weight than you might expect though.
  8. Sumaru

Ok, if I can get a consensus here, this can be a short and sweet, done and over thread. HA5500 in the bottom space using only front ears=solid, safe, and secure? Those in favor?
  9. Sumaru

By the way...dig that groove!
  10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Don't worry about it. My MOSFET 3500 was racked in an SKB by the front ears for nearly 20 years without a problem. It's about the same weight. It took plenty of road abuse without ever having a problem.
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

It should be fine. But - if it really bothers you - my old MOSFET 3500 was part of an 1155 combo. In addition to the front rack screws it had two screws on the side securing it. Not sure of those threaded holes are in the later HA models. Also not sure is they would be much help with a plastic rack case (combo was wood of course).
  12. Sumaru

I love this forum. Talkbass rocks. Thanks guys! I'll stop obsessing now!
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Does it come with rear sliding ears? Gosh no, it doesn't! Rack away. I'd be more worried about the rack rails than the amp.
  14. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I always just insert something between the case bottom and underside of the unit.
  15. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    It'll be fine. It's designed to be rack mounted.
  16. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

OP, I had a similar issue with my QSC PLX amps.
    QSC makes rear rack-ears for these amps, which I installed.

I had to fabricate correctly sized wooden blocks to adapt the gap between rails and amp.
    These are held in place by sturdy wood screws and pilot holes in the blocks.
    The solution is a bit fiddly to fabricate, but works great when in place.
  17. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    This! I'd put something like a foam block under the back of the amp while ensuring that it doesn't impede airflow. (Not sure if that would be an issue with this amp anyways.)
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a firm believer in supporting heavy racked amps from the bottom. I would do it if I were you.
  19. Sumaru

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid fabricating the solution and would prefer an "off the shelf" option. Raxxess makes a 2U "trap shelf" that looks promising; anyone have experience with these?
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Amps heavy enough to worry about, I've fabricated wood blocks or "wooden rear ears", along the lines of what bgavin described, although your amp should be fine without, unless maybe you're on a big tour where various crews you don't know would be throwing your stuff in a truck everyday. Talking the sort of tours where everything is in real, ATA flightcases, even big speaker cabs. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't worry about it, just make sure your amp chassis is screwed together tight, not missing screws, etc.