Trying to record bass on a tascam dp 006

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Jan 19, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

I'm a noob to recording. I have a Tascam 6 track pocketstudio. I have figured out how to record goo sounding acoustic guitar on it. For the life of me though, I cannot get a good sound recording bass(which is why I really bought it). It is either way too loud or way to quiet, even when I try to do all the mixing with it. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? thanks!
  2. Bongolation

Bongolation

I just bought this deal on a DP-008EX and received it a couple of days ago. I haven't recorded anything with it yet, but hope to start this week.

There's a section in the instructions about getting levels right with bass and guitar, and I think the interface is the same on both of these units. You select the hi/med/lo input levels in the onscreen channel setup and then use the channel Trim knob to fine-tune the level to never clip. They suggest if this doesn't cut it to adjust at the instrument itself. They also say if you're using an active, to use the line input option.

Astonishingly, I remembered all this from reading the manual. ;)

If you've lost your manual, Tascam has it on their site.

There's also some EQing and compression options on the 008EX, but in any case, if you still don't have what you want, you can run the bass through whatever effects and modelers you have lying around into the line input.

When recording bass in my real studio, I go pure software from a direct input because there are infinite VSTs to tweak tone, but on the PocketStudio I plan to fiddle with a bunch of outboard whatnot I've accumulated over the years and never really used.

Good luck!
  3. axd1967

axd1967

4. hazmatt

hazmatt

how are you recording your bass? are you relying on the tascam microphone? plugging the bass directly in? running a line out from your bass amp to the unit? they will all give you different sounds, some are likely more pleasing to you than others.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a DP-008 and I like the sound I got recording bass with a Shure SM57 (I borrowed one) and the direct sound was okay for some stuff.
    The built in mics didn't do too well.
    They'd be okay for getting an idea down for future reference, but direct or the SM 57 worked better.
    Experiment with mic placement as well--that might help.