1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Trying to recreate a mistake i liked

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bagusys, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Bagusys

Bagusys

So a while back I started using my A-teck wireless again. without even noticing, my bass had a AMAZING sound. The sound was almost Chorus like. but even the whole bass had a punchy sound, even with the Bass eq knob turned all the way down. The only downfall to this was the low strings/notes were too chorusy and were muffled and there was some buzzing, especially in recording, BUT the high notes sounded AMAZING, especially when i threw on my chorus pedal. I started using this alot with some of the leads and solos I do in my band, but most importantly every notes on that bass had an even low end.... anyway, ultimately the buzzing and almost "out of tune" sound (as my guitarist puts it) was not worth it and I plugged back in and eventually got the Joyo Wireless (LOVE IT). all those awesome low ends are now gone and when I do my solo's and roll off the Bass EQ knob, they're gone also and when I do the tap playing like Ryan of Mudvayne, it doesn't have as much punch or low end as it used to, so I am now trying to experiment and see how I can recreate that A-Tech mistake sound in pedal form. Has anyone ever experienced this or tried using Treble boosters for solo's on Bass, I know most treble boosters cut the low ends, I basically want my low ends back when I roll down the Bass knob on the eq cuz my bass (Washburn 18V modded XB-400 with alot of personal modifications) has ALOT of different sounds. Any advice would be great...

2. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like maybe you were experiencing some latency from the wireless system, causing your straight signal and your wireless signal to be slightly out of phase, this would cause a chorusy/detune effect.

To recreate it, your best bet is going to be the Iron Ether Polytope. It will take your clean signal double it, and detune it to various amounts. It can be a very slight shimmer or all out pitch vibrato, depending on where it is set. Based on my interpretation of the OP, I think the polytope will do the trick.

3. Bagusys

Bagusys

That sounds like it could be right, but how does it get the straight signal and the wireless signal if im only using the wireless. and what explains the massive low ends even on the 24th fret of the G string with the Bass eq rolled all the way down. every litte tap click flick any way of touching that bass anywhere made a full noise and i LOVED it

4. Bagusys

Bagusys

I mean it was massive. I had my amps at low volume, like <1 and it rattled the whole house. Just for funzies I bent the Whammy bar all the way down, hit a note, hit the Freeze pedal then Whammyed the digitech "divebomb" (3 octaves) and slowly raised the vol VERY LOUD. I think it measured on Rickter's scale. and weather I turned the output from the wireless receiver down or up it didn't matter. it was basically massive low ends steady untill i got all the way down. and just shut off

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LiamCohl

LiamCohl

Sounds like the wireless was probably compressing your signal a bit as well, that would lead to louder more even low end.

7. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

This is what I'm thinking too.
    A phaser pedal might recreate that sound. Thick phasing can create low end resonance fattening up low notes.

8. Bagusys

Bagusys

Thx everyone...
    never really got into Conpression pedals cuz i never really knew what they were for. I going to try the Soul Preacher, being an EHX maniac and see what I get.
    @m.Sterling - that IE Polytope is INSANE!!! I am getting one right now because I feel like I will like that as a chorus much better than my CE - 5. Can't wait to see what I can make with it...

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you have to go with EHX, then try the Black or White Finger. The Soul Preacher is not good.

10. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

+1