Trying to tab it myself, got a question.

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by camardelle, Nov 3, 2013.

1. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

I've got the chords to a song I want to learn bass for. The chord sheet states to capo II which I figure means the guitar should have the capo on the second fret, and the player still plays the same chords.

As a bass player, if this is the case and the first chord is a G, then I should be playing something A, correct? Is this what is referred to as transposing?

The Ultimate Guitar website allows you to do this. I'm figuring that for the capo on fret two, I transpose at +2?

I'm still very much a student but at this stage I'd really like to start learning this on my own and creating my own tabs/basslines. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. obimark

obimark

Typically yes- but for some of these web tabs it's hard to say. If they capo II, and play an open A chord on guitar then it would be a B Note in reality for instance.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Yes, what you are doing is transposing. The problem here is it's tough to tell whether the person who made the chord chart is using the chord names that correspond to the fingerings or the chord names that correspond to the actual pitches. My thoughts on that:

1. Chord names that correspond to the fingerings would be more common, because that's easier for a guitarist to read. In such a case, you'd need to transpose up 2 half steps.

2. In order to get a G chord (pitch-wise) with a capo on the second fret, you'd have to fret an F chord. This is an awkward chord on guitar because it doesn't have an "open" shape but must be played as a barre. G, on the other hand, is an easy chord to finger on the guitar, which is one reason why so many rock songs are in this key. So again, the evidence points to the chord names corresponding to the fingering, and you needing to transpose.

3. You could simply listen to and play along with the recording. It should be pretty obvious which key is correct. :)

4. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

Thanks for everyone's help. I've really learned a lot from an ear's point if view, and I had fun. I have to be honest, I'm having a tough time getting the fills/walks done. I'm pretty happy with everything else.

If anyone wants to listen to the line "when we said there'd be no room for doubt" and the fill that takes place at about 1:55 into the song that would really help. I've beat it half to death and I can't make it right. It sounds simple enough but I can't get it right. I'm not done trying but if you're smarter than than me then this old phart/noob would really appreciate the assistance.

5. Register to disable this ad