Trying to upgrade my amp. Advice/Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rjbent12, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Rjbent12

Rjbent12

I just found this site a couple hours ago, and have been going through it since looking around for information on amps. I'm several bands at the moment and mostly play soul/funk stuff jazz, and blues. Just looking for some suggestions on what you guys use and like for small-medium sized gigs.
    I have a 180 watt Behringer combo amp, need something that can play with a band with a full brass and rhythm section.
    Thanks!

2. IPYF

IPYF

How much do you want to spend?

This is the key thing. You can get something great for your purposes at virtually any pricepoint.

Are you looking for a head/cab setup or a combo?

3. LowBC

LowBC

Disclosures:
    Builder: www.MavourneenStrings.com
    I recently fell in love with running a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal (a tubey Ampeg clone; there are a number of "preamp/DI" boxes out there) into a DI box. From the DI I send the XLR out to the house PA and the 1/4" out to a powered monitor speaker on stage with me. The speaker points up at my head so I can hear it at close range and I can carry my pedalboard and QSC K12 speaker in one trip from the car.

This rig assumes that A) a PA system will be involved so the audience won't need to depend on a backline bass rig and B) that somebody competent will be running it, but I've never had trouble.

good luck!

4. Rjbent12

Rjbent12

i am looking up to $1200, my mistake in not stating that, I'm not partial to either a combo or a head/cab setup, just want some info on what people have and what they like about it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Find a good bass head, 300-600 watts, and add a good 2x12 cab. If this is still not loud enough, add a 2nd identical 2x12. Brand is user preference, so go out and test some stuff and see what you like.Be sure you undertand impedance. If your amp is 4 ohms min, stick with 8 ohm cabs. If it's 2 ohms min, you have more options.

7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

First thing to do is go out and try everything you can. You need to narrow down what you want tonally. Once you have a better picture you can start looking at amp options. Finding a small, light, loud, low rig will cost you more, but depending on your volume and tonal needs you can get a pretty kick ass rig with your budget.