Tube Amp/Cab Tone Guide Request

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NeverKnowsBest, Dec 5, 2013.

1. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest

Newbie looking for something which I don't think exists yet. I don't have the knowledge or experience to make it myself.

What I am looking for is a guide to the different tonal identities of the major tube amp and cabinet manufacturers. I hear a lot of people talk about how brand X has Y type of sound (i.e., Orange is "Vintage", "Hard", "British", etc.), but I never have seen in one place a comparison between them. So like, Ampeg, Fender, Orange, Mesa Boogie, Ashdown, Vox, Marshall, Sunn, etc., a guide describing the general character of each brand and the musical style it is most often suited for.

Thanks in advance,
    NKB

2. P Town

P Town Guest

Most manufacturers have a variety of products that have different characteristics making it impossible to characterize any brand as having any narrowly defined sound, and people perceive sound inconsistently so one persons opinion may be too subjective for you to get useful data.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Just look on stage of bands that you like, that can give you some sort of idea.

If you know what you are doing you can get multiple dimensions out of any amp.

4. P Town

P Town Guest

The sound you hear at a show may be a result of the bass going direct to the board, and will not be created by the amp on stage. Even if you see that the bass cab has a microphone in front of it, there may be a direct signal combined with the cab/mic signal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All amps have knobs, and I will use them, plus I fully believe that if someone hands you any amp that works and has enough guns for the gig, no matter what the music, if it sounds bad it ain't the amp's fault ;)

7. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

Man, why do you think so many of us have bought/sold/traded so many amps and cabs over the years? We're looking for THAT tone that only exists in our heads. Happy hunting!

Dan