Tube amp plus p bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by duderus, Dec 2, 2013.

1. duderus

duderus

Equals amazing tone....
    Is it just me or do you get a better tone for a p bass when played through a tube amp?

My next question is is here an amp out there that is amazing all tube amp for both jazz and p bass tone? I use solid state/ mesa for my jazz and it's optimal and the tube amp for my p bass , but I am sick of lugging it around. Money may not be an issue because I can sell current gear. Thank you!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I get a better tone for everything through a tube amp.

3. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

Just going to edit your question and see if you haven't answered it yourself.

Plenty of other solutions but since you like the Mesa tone already I'd start there.

4. Sartori

Sartori

All my basses sound better (to me) through my tube amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

You might try the Aguilar TH500 before you spend a ton of money and get stuck with all that weight. I love mine with both my passive P and my J. Very warm, very loud, and it brings out that growl and grunt in a P Bass that brings to mind many classic P bass recordings.

Great amp, with the ability of tons of mildly warm tones and some of the complex feel of a good tube preamp without the weight, cost and sometimes hassle of tubes. My favorite head of all time. P Bass bliss, and a good, warm, solid 'sit in the mix' J tone. Unless you want to Marcus Miller sizzle, it will do pretty much anything else with high reliability and about 4 pounds.

Aguilar does not participate in the Musician's Friend on-line discount deals (those special 10% or 15% off they run often), but if you call them, they will apply the discount to Aguilar gear, making it very affordable. They also will give you a number of weeks of a no-questions asked return policy, so little risk in trying one.

Great head for that 'warm, fat' P Tone for sure, and a classic 60's sort of J tone.

7. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

I like the Tone Hammer for a nice J tone too.

People are pretty excited about the new mesa tube amps. I got to demo a Strategy and it is an amazing amp. There is a voice control, and setting #2 is about as good as it gets with a J bass.

I really dig the sound of my old B15 with the jazz bass... I know it's gonna hurt all the Jamerson fans out there, but I like the B15 better with a J than a P.

Hard to go wrong with any classic tube amp and a J or P bass.

8. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

My Mesa Buster kills with my Nash J and P basses.

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Not really sure what your question is OP(?) Are you looking for a tube amp?
    In one sentence you said you were, but then followed it up with a statement that you thought your solid state Mesa was better for your J and additionally that you were tired of lugging your current tube head.

As far as an amp that goes with a J, it's kind of like asking what amp goes good with a bass guitar - almost all of them. The main thing is you have to LIKE a Jazz tone. If you prefer a Precision tone - nothing wrong with it, but a Jazz isn't a Precision.

Are you not happy with your current tube head because of it's weight? Do you feel your J doesn't EQ well enough with it? Do you just prefer a Precision tone? Some more info might get some more help your way.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Doesn't bother me in the least ;) I've used everything from a Precision to a Longhorn to a cheapo Steinberger copy to a fancy neck-thru with EMG's and I love a B-15 with all of them.

11. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

The answer is yes, tube amps and P basses sound better than jazz basses and tube amps. There, I said it! :eek:

I had a Trace Elliot VA400 that sounded very good with a P & a J bass. Nod to the P bass again.

12. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Awwwww snap! It's about to go down!

13. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Ya, they all sound pretty good. I have an EKO (hofner type) that sounds killer with the B15. For me though, my (nos)64 Jazz and my B15 are like peas and carrots.

:eek: is right!!

14. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy

this.