Tube Amp - Will This Cut It?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Negro_Negus, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Negro_Negus

Negro_Negus

Disclosures:
    King of Kings
    Hello,

I was wanting to make the move to a Tube Amp and found this little monster.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...2G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CIueuouclbwCFVBxQgodoxEACg

It's all tube, within my price range, and looks pretty solid. Do you guys think it would cut it in a band setting? I play with a drummer and guitarist. My guitarist uses a pretty loud amp (Peavey Bandit).

I have a 2x15 Ampeg "fridge" cabinet that was passed on to me. It's in bad shape but I've never seen anything that looks so loud.
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

5 watts for bass...........not even close.
  3. remainthesame

remainthesame

do you really want an amp with one knob?
  4. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

Nope, you're going to need at least 50 watts from a tube head for bass to be heard with very efficient speakers, and thats still pushing it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If its anything like the jet city picovalve, then no.
  7. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

5 Watts? Only if you want to play in your house. And then it might not be enough.
  8. alecduncan

alecduncan

5 watts through a 2x15 would be a killer practice rig. However, you won't be able to hear yourself even if the only other band member is a whistler/didgeridoo player.

I would look for a dedicated bass head. What's your price range? The cheapest viable head I can see for $100 USD is an old Peavey Musician head or a Hartke 2500 used.
  9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If you want to go the all tube route look for used silver face fender bassman heads. The 100 watt heads are around 400-500$.
  10. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If you run it into a good 2x15.... and then mic that and run it into a decent PA, yes.

The best deal in bandworthy/gigworthy all tube bass amps is, in my opinion, the Traynor YBA-1A or YBA-3. The 1A is VERY conservatively rated at 90W and the 3 is 130. In real life, I think the 1A would compare to other tube amps rated at 110 - 120W and the 3 would compare to other amps rated at 160 - 180.

Prices on them have been going up, but you can still find good deals on them. There's a 1A on my local CL for $400 that I REALLY wish I had the cash to buy.
  11. thekyle55

thekyle55

I have one.

It gets kinda loud, with guitar, through a 4x12. With bass, no. It's ok if you're going for a screaming blues guitar sound, but not really much else.
  12. Negro_Negus

Negro_Negus

Disclosures:
    King of Kings
    Great :( I should have checked back here before ordering it. I didnt realize that it was only 5W... that's a joke! My iPhone probably puts out more juice than that. I just saw tube for $100 and got all excited.

Does it sound good for guitar at least... like better than The Bandit?

This is not what I had in mind :( It would be stupid to be on stage with the kind of cab I got... but like no sound coming out of it.
  13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Wait, you came here to ask the question to save yourself spending on something that won't work. Without checking for answers to your question you asked, you order anyway???? Your FIRST answer was 2 minutes after you posted! :eyebrow: :scowl: I give up. :atoz:
  14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Pretty easy to rig a load on to that (even a real speaker for reactive) and run that into a power amp, be pretty cool. Need to figure that with techy stuff and do some soldering, but it would work
  15. ThisBass

ThisBass

It looks like you are not on budget, but want the whole thing absolutely tubed.
  16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Heh, overgrown preamp!
  17. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

You wouldn't even need to solder anything, the amp has such a low power that you could simply go straight out to a power amp that has a high input power tolerance. I mean, active basses put out 2-4 watts depending on the opamp used and pickup output, IIRC. You could just plug the tube amp straight into the power amp!

OP, you have a tube preamp, basically. Or a practice head!
  18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Still need the right impedance load on the output. Active basses won't put out a few watts, because the inputs they go into are much higher impedance than speakers. They do a couple of volts voltage swing tops.
  19. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Oops, I hadn't considered the impedance, I guess that would knock it down from 9v.
    In that case, would it take a buffer between the guitar tube amp to change the impedance? The amp is listed as being able to to switch between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. I have no idea what a preamp has as an output impedance generally, so this is where I get lost and let someone else take over :D
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Dummy load at rough impedance with voltage divider for the slave amp. Or something. ;)
  21. catgut

catgut

You'll need to devote at least $400.00+ if you want a tube power section. Then $100-300 every 2-4 years after that to re-tube it. There is a Mesa D-180 on ebay right now for $675.00. That would do the trick for you. Otherwise be patient and scour Craig's list and classifieds. Someone will not know what they have at some point but I would get impatient if I was looking for my only amp that way.