1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tube and micro planning

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lax4bags, Nov 19, 2013.

1. lax4bags

lax4bags Gold Supporting Member

I am getting a Mesa 400+. This will be my amp for my 50's rock and roll band with super loud drummer and roid rage boogie woogie keyboardist. I currently have an Orange Bass Terror 500 (copping a tube amp sound). I think I am going to just sell the Orange (since I will have a real all tube amp) and get either a Carvin Bx-500 (cheap, <$300 used) or a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2. Either micro is small and would be a perfect backup to my all tube time bomb (this is my first all tube bass amp). I used to own the Carvin and had a couple of units die on me. I have a good source for the Genz for about $100 more.

Carvin- same power, much more versatile, not as high quality, I could skip most of my pedalboard though (compressor, eq)

Genz- more reliable, more quality, sounds better/tighter, better resale value, I would need compression and Eq (pedalboard on a cramped stage :( )

What should I do?

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i haven't gotten a lightweight ss amp to back up my mesa d180 yet, so i'm gonna watch this thread to see what you eventually decide

3. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

I use a Carvin BX-500 as my backup and rehearsal amp. It's been solid for 1.5 years. If you like the tone and the benefits of onboard comp and EQ, then it is a great option.

I have also owned two Mesa 400+'s, and both were perfectly reliable. I wouldn't treat them like "all tube time bomb's".

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I don't know that either of those will mimick much of a tube tone without some help, though the Genz may do it a bit better than the Carvin. May end up wanting a pedal for flavor anyway.

Congrats on the Mesa. Likely find that one more plug-n-play. The tubes add a bit of natural compression and it's got plenty of eq.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Genz Benz has plenty of eq possibilities so you should not need an eq pedal. I'd go that route given a choice - no questions about reliability. Also, seems to me that for that style of music, you should be able to get by without a compressor for backup unit...but only my opinion!

7. lax4bags

lax4bags Gold Supporting Member

Swr headlite is in my possession and way better than its reputation here on TB. Packed with features and great clear tone. Fits in my mono m80. :D