Tube brand options for Ampeg SVT 2 Pro...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Andybart, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Andybart

Andybart

Does anybody know the best tubes to get for an Ampeg SVT 2 Pro? I'm in search of new power tubes for my amp and I'm not sure what the best option is for me. I've never owned a tube amp until the last few months and it is making some really weird noises which lead me to believe my power tubes (maybe more) are spent. If anybody has any insight on this I'd really appreciate it. Does Ampeg recommend Sovtek or Electro Harmonix or what?
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think JJ KT-88's are pretty epic. Huge sounding with extra lows and slight compression. (at least through my 400)

I have Tung Sol RI 6550's in two amps that I own and like them. They are a little flatter in terms of frequency response. I tried the TS because they were a little cheaper but am very happy with them.

As long as your power section is biased right it should be all good.

Noise... preamp is usually the culprit and a fraction of the cost.
  4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

In the 2 SVT 11 Pro's I had over the years, I've always installed Sovtek 6550's power tubes ..... for the preamp & driver tubes I've used Sovtek & JJ's and Tung-Sol's
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

I retubed a CL with EHX and was very happy with the results, cheap too.
  7. bassboysam

bassboysam

No need to splurge on tubes, all you need is something robust that can handle the screen and plate voltages. EH and Sovtek 6550/KT88 are good. Haven't tried the JJ 6550 but the JJ KT88 have done really well in my Matamp.
  8. stiles72

stiles72

Nothing wrong with Sovteks all the way around. If you felt like splurging on NOS tubes, I'd try a couple in the preamp. Tubes in general don't need to be replaced unless they go bad, so you may want to have your amp looked at and have the tubes tested.
  9. Andybart

Andybart

Thanks for the info! I guess I should've maybe explained the problem as well so that maybe somebody could help me determine if it needs to go in and be serviced or not. A few weeks ago my SVT 2 pro started making my speakers sound like they were blown (kind of a crackling undesirable sort of distortion) I tried the head through a few different cabs I have at our practice space and it made the same noise with all of them. Then last week as I was warming up my head on standby mode the standby/fault light started flashing between red and green and my amp is now shut down completely. I read in the manual that this most likely means a failure in the power tube circuit which is why I was leaning toward replacing the possible burned out ones or whatever.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I don't know about SVT but Mesa suggest checking out resistors which can be taken out by tubes dying. Jimmy must be busy today.
  11. meatwad

meatwad

If power tubes are all you need, I recommend Winged "C"s. I have those in my SVT-CL, and love them. Compared to the original Sovteks, they sound bigger in the lows and tend to overdrive easier, but still incredibly loud.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The chances of you having more than one or two blown tubes is low. Likely you have only one. You can buy a set of 6 if you want, but SVT power tubes are made to be matched and biased in triplet sets, so the cheaper option is to buy 3 and just replace the half that's got the bad tube. But yeah, I'd say you have a bad power tube. I'm no tech but that'll happen when you have a bad tube.
  13. Andybart

Andybart

Thanks, I think I'll just try getting half new tubes. SUPER expensive anyway for a whole set. Kind of wishing I hadn't tried out a tube amp and experienced how much better they sound than most solid states cause man it's expensive!
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ever price a replacement motherboard in a solid state amp? ;) Any kind of amp can break and have a costly repair bill.
  15. Bassoballs

Bassoballs

I also recommend Winged =C= tubes. I use them in my 2 pro and feel they are more musical than the originals. They are a bit pricey, but I feel it is a worthwile upgrade.
  16. Andybart

Andybart

So those are the SED 6550C power vacuum tubes?
  17. bassboysam

bassboysam

Yes
  18. Andybart

Andybart

19. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    The best 6550's currently being produced anywhere on the planet are the Winged C's.

=C=