1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tube compression question...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Russell L, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Once in awhile I will gig with one of my guitar player's Ampeg V4 + 810 cab. Then, later back to my Markbass LMIII head with two Markbass 115 cabs. My friend thinks his Ampeg rig sounds more even, or consistent as to how the notes are hearable. He said that with my rig sometimes notes don't project as evenly. Hm, I've been trying to understand why that could be. Of course, maybe it was my playing, or perhaps my eq doing it. I'm not sure. But, it dawned on me that maybe it has something to do with tube compression. I don't push the V4 hard, though, not at all. But, still, is is possible that that is the cause, if it's so? Under what conditions could the Ampeg be so? Maybe it's just my friend's ear, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
  2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Sounds to me like an 8x10 vs 2x15 issue.
  3. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

waaaaay too many variables to try and figure this out.
  4. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

I would say that they are EQed differently. Of course he would prefer his sound. It is his EQ setting.
  5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

This ^^^.

Tone is subjective. Seems that you have two completely different sets of ears and rigs. Both seem capable rigs . . . Do you think you sound better with the MB rig?

Have you tried experimenting with compression? AFAIK the LMIII has a couple of tone knobs that can simulate some tubey effects . . . VPF & VLE???

Ok maybe not quite:
    http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=99
  6. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

It depends on whether the problem is one of EQ (and "cutting thru the mix") or of compression/limiting (where you sometimes just hit notes louder or softer).

As the other responses have already suggested, step one would be to get the 2 amps side by side and get them EQ'd similarly, as listened to from across the room. Then see how different things seem in a band setting.
  7. Russell L

Russell L

Yeah, I like my Markbass rig better. But, I hadn't yet figured out the V4 completely yet either. Now I know how to dial it a bit better. And I have been turning my lows down on the LMIII to suit the boomy room we hold the jam in. I will say that I love the tone of the Ampeg rig, and I cannot emulate it perfectly with the Markbass rig. But, that's ok since I do love the sound of the Markbass rig,too, but it's just different.

I know, there are too many variables to answer the question right. I just wondered if tube compression COULD have anything to do with it. And yes, the VLE and VPF are useful tone shaping tools. I rarely use the VPF, though, although it is sometimes interesting to turn it up and then turn up my high mids also to get at different frequencies. But, I really need to lowere the lows when using that knob. It produces a scooped sound on it's own, which just makes me disappear in the mix, so it seems.
  8. Russell L

Russell L

I can do that by taking my Markbass rig to the practice room (rather move it than the Ampeg, oh yes). probably won't happen at a gig, though.
  9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Even though you aren't pushing the rig, compression on your attack may be a factor. Speaker cabs, and the way that they interact with the amp, also compress. I would try the 810 with the LMIII and see how it sounds.
  10. Russell L

Russell L

I did that at the practice room one night. Sounded awesome, but didn't do any comparisons. mainly, I just wanted to hear the LMIII through something different. I'll tell ya, though, the 810 has a mojo all its own. I mean, the LMIII didn't sound THAT much different than the V4 through it. It was different, though.