1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tube Lights for Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by baconbits89, Jan 30, 2014.

1. baconbits89

baconbits89

I'm interested in wrapping the perimeter of my pedalboard (6 ft) in soft white tube lights. I play a fair amount of basement shows and dim "stages", and illuminating my board would help with both finding my pedals and creating ambiance.

Any recommendations in terms of brands or styles to use? I know you can get the super basic cheap ones at a Home Depot or such, but I also don't want anything that's gonna generate a lot of heat, potentially short out my power supply's outlet, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Check out the LED strip lights found in the 'accessories' section of your local car parts shop. Also found online in wide variety. Different colors too, although white is most available. They're also used for shelf/cabinet lighting so those could be good sources.

They're typically designed to run on 12VDC but I expect you'd want a separate power supply for them.
  3. baconbits89

baconbits89

Thanks. I have the "courtesy outlet" on my Pedal Power 2+ that I can plug the lights into, so that should hopefully suffice.

Any major differences between the incandescent and LED lights? I'd assume LEDs are more efficient, longer lasting, brighter, etc. Looking for something visible, but not necessarily blinding and distracting.
  4. ArtechnikA

I'm not a lighting consultant, just trying to be helpful ;-)

Here's a "for instance" from one of my favorite suppliers:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hfm-ledtaprd/overview/

This is red, traditional for night-vision-preserving applications. They've got all the 'cool' colors too - e.g. white, blue... Donno if they're dimmable - it wouldn't be a factor in their intended application. But typically they're 'trim-able' (every 3 or 4 lamps) so if you don't want so much light, use fewer...

I expect they'd use much less current and create much less heat than incandescents at equivalent brightness. And they're pretty much indestructible, which light bulbs are not...
  5. ArtechnikA

Ya learn something every day !

1000 Hz AC drive -- is EMI not a factor in close proximity to a pedalboard? I get that the total current is low, but it's close to some picky high-gain stuff...

(Hmmm... I replied to a post suggesting EL wire but it seems to have vanished...)
  6. ngh

ngh

7. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Look into pc case lights. A lot of them run off of 12volt. All kinds of sizes, colors, fluorescent, led, color change.
  8. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

9. ngh

ngh

this comes to mind:

[​IMG]

:bag:
  10. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member