Tube overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by korrupt3r, Mar 12, 2014.

1. korrupt3r

korrupt3r

I recently tried a EBS VALVE DRIVE on my Fender Bassman 100('76) and it was stunning. The downside is its price. So I was looking the English Muff'n. I'm going to match the overdrive with my BAT Pharaoh so if you have any experience with overdrive pedals please help!

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Tube works blue tube, hands down. There is one in ten classifieds for $110 I think.

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

I own a valvedrive and a few other overdriven pedals. I have a 30th anniversary tube screamer, boss bass overdrive and ehx bass muff. I owned a tube screamer clone with a bass mod and a way huge green rhino. Of all
    Of those the one that came closest to the ebs valve drive was the green rhino and it still lacked that organic characteristic to it. It was awesome
    In its own way but nothing beats the ebs for tube like fuZz. I got mine here on the classifieds for 180usd. I also use it as an always on pedal to warmen my signal but have used it as a full on fuzz on a few recordings and it excels at it. Theres a new version with built in xlr capabilities as well but I dont really need it.

4. korrupt3r

korrupt3r

But is that loud, warm and sounds enormous? :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

I have several overdrive pedals including a hand made DHA tube OD. For versatility and warm amp-like overdrive the Valve Drive is in a league of its own. For me it's worth the size and cost. Used non-DI ones seem to be going for around $150-$175 USD.

Another choice might be a ToneHammer. I haven't tried the preamp/DI but the TH350 head does the overdriven tube amp thing really well. If you needed the DI I'd seriously consider this option.

7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Can you elaborate on the stunning part? Lots of overdrive pedals out there doing different things, and a specific on the tonal quality you dug can help dial in the suggestions. From what i've read the tube in the ValveDrive doesn't affect the sound very much, so if most of the tone is in the circuit design itself, another tube pedal might not be the one-to-one replacement you are looking for.

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 nothing else is close IMO

9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I like the Blue Tube as well. Ill probably never sell mine. Its an invaluable tool IMO. Great pedal.

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Not tried the Blue Tube, but hands down preferred the DHA VT1 to the EBS Valvedrive.

11. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I rather enjoy my Mesa Bottle Rocket. If i ever get my hands on a Blue Tube I think it would sit right up there with the Mesa.

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

blue tube is great, it really warmed up my ss marshall

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I have a Mesa V1 Bottle rocket too. Love the transition from clean to OD, it's seamless and no funky eq loss or odd boost.

The only other tube pedal I've had before was a DHA, which did sound good but the big bass boost when you kicked it on drove me nuts.

14. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

anyone have experience with the myco four?

15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:

I'm sure someone will chime in here. There's been a lot of guys that have used it here on TB and love it.

16. godspeed68

cool, as soon as i get the strategy, i'll be pulling the trigger on a top-tier tube o.d. for sure

17. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    The Four isn't out, yet. Still being tweaked and stizuff. The Three is amazing. I'm obviously biased. Transparent. Warm....no freq cutoff. Very touch sensitive.

18. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

The three is awesome. I haven't looked at or considered any other overdrives since I got it.

However I might pick up a Blue Tube just to be sure. :)

19. GDUBS

GDUBS

Haven't tried the blue tube??? Oh god not more gas!! Ha! I use the VT I like it! Warms up my terror bass head nicely and add some low punch which sometimes I find the orange lacks. Esp. With my geddy. Seems it sounds better with passive basses as well

20. godspeed68

I will HAPPILY beta test anything for you :)

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

21. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

I had the three (twice) but couldn't kick my John k built blue tube off.. I just put a mullard in it, omg is that nice...

I loved the three but it always sounded dark to me....