1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tube preamp scheme.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sanyaalwaysbass, Feb 5, 2013.

1. sanyaalwaysbass

sanyaalwaysbass

Hello everyone! I'm in search of a good tube preamp scheme. It's assembling must not be expensive like alembic f2b or ampeg svt pro.
    I will be grateful for any
    help you can provide.
  2. majortoby

majortoby

Well, first thing's first. How conversant in electronics are you? This sort of undertaking can be seriously dangerous and fruitless to the uninitiated. Just a thought.
  3. sanyaalwaysbass

sanyaalwaysbass

sorry, i'm forget:

>Please note, that
    it has to be easy to assemble,
    because my friend-engineer will
    be in charge of that.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Take a look at the front end of an Ampeg B15. It's about as simple and straightforward as a pre-amp can be. If you are wanting to use this to drive a SS stereo power amp, you'll need to add a cathode follower to the output, preferably with some kind of output transformer. That should be a simple task for an engineer with a knowledge of tube electronics.
  5. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Has anybody seen an "open source" schematic for the ultimate DIY design?
  6. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

I replied to your duplicate posting over in Pickups & Electronics.
  7. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

check out the g9 preamp
  8. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Link?
  9. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

10. ThisBass

ThisBass

11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

The Alembic is basically a Fender preamp and tone stack, can't hardy get much simpler for a preamp.
  12. majortoby

majortoby

I'm detecting english as a second language here. Where are you located? That could help us help you :)
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Are you volunteering? ;)

A nice idea might be to show a preamp build, progressively, starting with the most basic features. A couple of gain stages with a passive tone stack in the middle is about as basic as it gets. Then you can add things like midrange, DI, etc.
  14. majortoby

majortoby

+1
    I agree that starting with a very basic pre would be the way to go. At least starting out, you could probably get nice results with a couple gain stages, a SIMPLE eq, and cathode follower.

It would not be the most versatile device ever crafted, but you would have the ability to tweak it more to your liking, and develop a better picture of where you want to take it from there.

And you never know, a simple clean pre with minimal eq just might be your dream tone :D
  15. BAce

BAce

A single channel Alembic F2B is about as easy a tube preamp build as you will find. And they sound great. I did one a while back and I love it. It was however my 27th amplifier or preamplifier build. Mine isn't exactly stock either--D.I. out as well as the normal output, cathode follower, a few extra switches. So do some reading, look at a LOT of pictures of finished builds to get an idea of how these things are put together.
  16. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I wish, but I'm not at all literate in circuit design. Speakers are my thing.

I've seen a few point-to-point photos here on TB of units that are superbly constructed for ease of service.
    These don't have the compromises required for mass production, i.e. surface-mount, printed circuit boards, pots soldered to boards, etc, etc.

This is not the correct forum, but I suspect somewhere there is in-depth discussion about circuit design for the ultimate bass preamp.
    My SVP-Pro schematic thread got a bit of discussion going, but it did not continue.
    Some of the smart design guys were chiming in as to why a particular circuit was good or bad, and what was required to improve it.

I wouldn't object to paying top dollar for a well-designed custom preamp, with full schematic, that is fully serviceable (point to point) long after the maker exits the business.

My daughter's 1985 JCM-800 is an amp like this.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

What's your idea of top dollar Bruce? And how custom would it need to be?

Personally, I don't consider turret or terminal board construction to be functionally any better or worse than good printed circuit boards -- especially if they're wired by a beginner's hands. The '85 JCM800s used a printed circuit board, BTW. '85 is right around when Marshall started doing board-mounted pots and jacks too, so your daughter's amp is quite desirable if it's the old style build.
  18. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

If you're not into the Alembic F2B then try the Fender Dual Showman :meh:
  19. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

I mistook the OP's comment to read that he considered the Alembic F2B or Ampeg SVT Pro to be an example of the "must not be expensive" type. :meh: I think you'd struggle to find a tube preamp simpler or less expensive than an F2B. Maybe with no tone controls?
  20. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

TBer Passinwind is one of the pre-amp guru's around here, he posts on different builds pretty frequently. Do a search on some of his stuff, then PM him.