1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tube Rolling a 7-Pro

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jim C, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Quick Report
    This amp is medium sensitive to a tube swap; maybe not as sensitive as a WA but you can actually here a real audible change unlike my experiences with SWR or a 3Pro.

I have lot of older used 12AX7 tubes.
    During a really long test with a WA awhile back, I found my favorites were:
    Telefunken, Amperex, Mullard, and National (long plate and does not have nearly the reliability of the other 3). I also checked these against the stock JJ tube.

This was the order of preference in the WA and remained the same for the 7-Pro.
    The Tele just had a bit more detail and air; a clear soundstage and 3-D
    The Amperex sounded great but slightly different. Maybe not as wide but a slightly tighter bottom (insert joke here).
    The Mullard seemed to have a more focused sound and not as 3-D; not a bad thing just not my thing.
    I like the National tubes but I have been told that they are spotty on performance (mine are NOS from the later 70's early 80's). I think these can be found cheap and the others are about $40 each if you buy rebranded tubes like Dynaco, Eico, Baldwin, and Fisher to name a few. The real deals are just a bit more.
    What's cool with Dynaco (made by Tele) is they ran lower voltages than many applications so one might surmise the will last longer although mine are from the 60's.

The J&J was fine but not as refined or detailed. It should be noted that this tube had more gain than all the rest. It also has really short plates.

I'd welcome any reports that others have found with a preamp tube swap in a 7-Pro.

Attached Files:

2. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Details of the last few tubes and my test rig.

Attached Files:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Johnk did some pre tube swapping in his. Used four, forget what all he used but one was a Mullard, and it was the brightest and middiest of the four as far as I remember. And the JJ he used did sound darker and less detailed. Surprisingly, I did some tube rolling in my Heritage SVT-CL and V4B and ended up preferring the JJ's they came with in V1 because it sounded more like my 69 with an Amperex 12dw7 in V1.
  4. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Another amp test and a cool Hot Rod.

Attached Files:

5. Big John66

Big John66

I've got a Mullard in mine right now. I've gone through JJ, Tung Sol, Telefunken, GE and the Mullard just puts everything in the right place. The GE ran a close second, but I'd use any of them in a pinch. They just all add a different feel to a great sounding amp.