1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tube Warmth/sustatin/grit/bite

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by michinho, Dec 5, 2013.

1. michinho

michinho

Looking for that tubey warmth and grit in my tone to use as an always on typle effect at the end of my chain.

Looking for that Geddy Lee type growl. Not full out distortion/overdrive but just that subtle fattness and grittyness. I get a nice sound with my GB Shuttle Head with the tube gain pushed past 3, but ideally i'd like to keep this down to about 1-2 and have a pedal that can get that "geddy" like sustain

My Gear: Fender USA Jazz Bass - Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2 - Genz Benz Focus 4x10

Like I said I don't want full out distortion/overdrive. Just something warm and fat ("geddy" like)

Would be a plus if said pedal worked well with other dirt pedals being run before it.

The candidates:

Xotic BB Bass Preamp
    Darkglass Vintage Micro Tubes
    Way Huge Pork Loin
    MyCo Three
    HBE Hemotoma
    Tronographic Rusty Box

Please let me know what you think of that selection guys ^^^ and what out of them would suit what I'm looking for!

Cheers,

Mike

2. michinho

michinho

3. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

I'd go for the Myco with the VMT as a second choice if you don't like the power requirements of the Myco.

4. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

From what I've heard and read, I don't think the Rusty Box will get you warmth and grit. I think it's designed to replicate solid state grind.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. noahw1

noahw1 Supporting Member

The VMT gets pretty great reviews as far as tube warmth goes. The demo vids show it copping a pretty decent vintage Geddy tone.

7. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

Also, go Spurs.

8. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

9. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Yeppers re the VMT. Mine is achieving keeper status.

10. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Aguilar Tone Hammer

Also, turn up that pregain past 3 and see what you get. I used to run my Shuttle's gain dimed, and that was after any pedals I had in front if it!

11. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Catalinbread SFT
    keep the gain low and you get a beautiful wooliness that sounds like an SVT.

12. 2string1

2string1

Sorry ...but why would someone like the sound of that clip with the VMT... to me it sounds like a cheap amp that is turned up to much. I had one of those in my early years when I couldn't afford and quality amp...So I worked hard and got a tight solid bass sounding rig. Why would anyone want to distort there bass like that. I guess I'm out of touch...

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Cusack Screamer Bass

I generally don't want an obviously distorted sound, just minimal breakup that adds some character and makes the bass sound a bit rawer; less smooth and not too nice so to speak. I've tried a bunch of pedals including the SFT, VMT, Pork Loin and more, and this is the only one so far I want to use as an always on pedal that adds that growl without changing the tone or character of the bass sound too much.

14. fasto

fasto

+1 ... SFT with 18V (not 9V) is the magic

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    funny, I much prefer running my SFT on 9V more than I do on 18. I guess we all have different taste.;)

16. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

i really dig my tubeworks blue tube. Has a 12ax7 tube that can add all that earth, roundness, fullness, smoothness, and tubeness that you're seeking, plus can go into some really pleasing breakup territory without sounding harsh or effecty. You can also swap tubes to expirement with different timbres.

17. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Me too, love them so much I ordered a second custom that runs on 9v.

I think that's what he should get, a blue tube. Yep, Blue tUbe for sure

18. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

What works for me is running the SFT at 12v on all the time with gain at 11-12:00 into a VMT that I kick on when I want the chrunch.

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    yep, blue tubes are nice. they're also very dynamic.

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Take a look at the owner's manual for your amp, in particular, how the input gain control allows you to overdrive the tube front end. I think youy may already own what you are looking for. The input O/L LED will flash indicating that you are overdriving the tube. This is ok, that's what it's there for.

21. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

yes for sure 18 volt.
    it's gotten to the point where i don't ever use 9 volts!