Tubes or solid state

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fusion man 85, Apr 13, 2014.

1. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

I have played solid state amps for years with guitar and bass,and I have been looking into tube amps. What should I be looking for,and is the tone spectrum really that diffrent? Im thinking fender or ampeg at the moment to.
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Can only suggest going and trying them out.

I find them to react quite differently and much prefer tube amps (for both guitar and bass), particularly if you want some dirt or higher gain (particularly for guitar).
  3. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I bought a Fender Bassman 300 and a 6X10 Neo Cab a couple of years ago, after years of playing SS SWR, Trace Elliot and such. I can't put my finger on it, but a 300 watt all tube head has a certain something! Just a ballsy tone and loads of presence. I can just feel the power, even at low volumes. The Fender offers a super nice vintage channel, and a cool overdrive channel. The blend allows me to dial in just a bit of grit and I just love my tone and get loads of compliments! And the stack looks completely badass! :D I'm pushing 50 now, but I will never go back, as long as I'm able to haul that head and cab! I say go for it. At the minimum, you could probably find a used head to try and sell it pretty easily if its not your thing...
  4. RSNG

RSNG

My Ampeg SVT is the best sounding amp I've ever used. It's heavy, and a PITA to move, but it's worth it. I'm using a SVT3PRO and 4x10 because it's easier to move. But, the all tube SVT is the ultimate, as far as I'm concerned.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Agreed with the previous posts. I have two SVT's, a V4B and a B-15, and all of them sound better to me than any SS amp I've ever used. That said, I do use SS if it's a difficult load or if size and weight is an issue while traveling, but if I had my druthers, I'd use a tube amp on everything.
  7. Alexander

Alexander

Tubes for me please. Put my tubey sounding hybrid in the closet as backup. Happiest I've ever been with my tone...
  8. JCM800

JCM800

Lugging around an old SVT and Dietz 2x15 is never a hassle once I take it off standby and hit that first note.
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I like my tone bright, focused, modern, and punchy. While I've played some hybrid heads that I liked, I've never been able to find "my" tone in an all-tube head.

SS for me, preferably GK.
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

A decision every player needs to experience to decide. I grew up with "tube amps", they all are now straining someone elses backs or adorning landfills for all I care ;)
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just recently went back to all tube and all I can say is that its good to be back home.
  12. wallerdub

wallerdub

Played SS ampeg my whole life, picked up a Pignose b100v head and don't think ill be going back to SS anytime soon. Running 2 SVT210he vertically stacked. Perfect rig for my tone!
  13. TC.65

TC.65

It's all tube for me. I'm running an Ampeg V4-B reissue now as my main amp. To me all tube amps have a presence and ballsiness to their tone that SS and Hybrids just can't deliver.
  14. Brian Jeffries

Brian Jeffries

i have always liked tubes with my guitar amps, and have always liked solid state for my bass amps ymmv.
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

If you want a tube head, make sure you have a reason to do so as it comes with a price. Most come with a high price tag, and a whole lot of weight to move around. I have a three tube pre amp and a ss power amp. Not the same thing as a tube head, but good enough for me given the reasons stated above
  16. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

hybrid tube/ss pre-amp and a ss power-amp, FTW!:D
  17. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I just cant imagine dragging around anything that heavy again
  18. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I prefer tube amps for gigs. I usually use my SVT 6 Pro because I don't like to bring my early 70s SVT to gigs. At my bands practice space I use a solid state Ampeg BA500 combo which I got for a great price. We share space with another band so I didn't want to leave an expensive amp there and the BA 500 is more than loud enough and has a good sound.
  19. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

Tubes are the only way to go. SVT-CL for me. There is nothing in the world like an "angry" SVT. As long as I can still handle load-out, I'll ne'er go back to SS.
  20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

My SWR Super Redhead has a focus that I don't see with a tube set up.

And then there's the fact that the entire combo weighs about what a tube head weighs.
  21. jstringer

jstringer

I think he should know how much wattage to get in a tube head and what cab he has and of he's playing with a full band.