Tucson residents

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crikker, Mar 15, 2014.

1. crikker

crikker Yooper From Way Back Supporting Member

Are there any Tucson residents here? We just got back from vacation there and I have some questions about the area. I can keep it in Private Messages to keep down the chatter. Thanks.

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I grew up in Tucson, though I haven't lived there since '11. I'll answer any questions I can.

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I have friends in Tucson and he constantly taunts those of us who live in cold places, with photos of sunsets. I hate him.

4. crikker

If I lived there, I'd never taunt anyone here in MI. No way. Right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowendmafia

lowendmafia KENNY WHEATON'S GONNA SCORE!!! Supporting Member

Lived there for 5 years, just moved to phoenix in October. If you were on vacation, you likely only saw the nice part...

7. crikker

What's the bad part? We were in Green Valley. Took a guided tour through town. Saw some crap. Still wouldn't mind living there. Why did you leave?

8. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Doesn't Tucson have some pretty good golf courses?

9. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I live in Phoenix now. Tucson is on my "to-visit" list.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

The guy is from Chicago, so....

We have a mutual friend who moved to PHX from MKE and when I called for some info, he asked about the weather. When I told him it was -5F, he laughed and said "Five below? My freezer doesn't even do five below!".

11. crikker

Well, it's snowing here again. Supposed to "warm up" the rest of the week then back into the low 20s and teens for highs on the weekend. I think I've had enough winter and it's only March. Put the shorts back into the closet so maybe I can get them out again in June. At least for three months. I like AZ.

12. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

The problem with Phoenix *or* Tucson is that the number of people living in the Sonoran desert vastly outstrip the water resources of the area. When you add in the fact that the American Southwest is in the middle of a mega-drought, you realize that sooner or later, things are going to get dire.

13. lowendmafia

I'm not saying that Tucson is a bad place to live, but for my career it was not the place to be. There are also a lot of really terrible areas, especially in midtown. The worst part about it is probably the roads, they are in really bad shape and they don't make a ton of sense directionally. Also, pretty much the entire city exists east of the freeway. Where I lived (Far East side), it could take us nearly an hour just to get to I-10 which was a huge pain. The university of Arizona controls the majority of downtown and the city council is absolutely horrendous, so if you pay attention to local politics, you will probably lose your mind. The Northern part and foothills area are absolutely gorgeous though and the city is big without feeling big. Finally, Tucson has some of the best restaurants in Arizona, much better than the over-commercial retailed Phoenix area.

14. pedroims

pedroims

I have family living in Tucson and Phoenix. I have been there four times. I would not like to live there, too hot. You should go there in August and you will understand what I am talking about

15. lowendmafia

It kind of irritates me when people say that because its only really hot for 2 or 3 months and then the weather is pretty mild the rest of the year. Right now we are looking at highs of about 85 and lows probably in the 60s. It has been like that since probalby October, with it cooling down a bit around Dec and Jan. Meanwhile, the people who complain about the heat will live with snow, sleet, ice, hail and freezing temperatures and all the headaches that come with those things for 4-5 months a year. Personally, I will take the 115 degree temps for a few weeks and stay in the air conditioning.

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dont get me wrong, i am from Monterrey Mexico that is basically the same temperature, the problem with Phoenix is that it is a desert, no green at all ... Just cactus and lizards. That is what I dont like

17. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

My parents retired to Tucson ~15 years ago, so I visit pretty regularly. After spending my entire life in the northeast United States I will happily take a 115°F day with 0% humidity in Tucson over an 85°F day with 35% humidity in New York. Any time, every time.

18. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

That's why I moved here from frigid northeastern PA!

19. crikker

I think I could live with the 115° temps for three months and enjoy the rest of the year. I'm still staring at a few more months of winter with a predicted cooler than normal summer. The idea of nine months of nice weather sounds real good.

Where do places like Tucson and Phoenix get their water from? I was talking to a guy today about how nice AZ was last week and he asked if I knew AZ was going to run out of water soon and then what?

20. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Tucson and Phoenix draw their water from the Colorado River, which no longer reaches the sea. And from aquifers which are being used faster than they're replenishing. The water situation there is going to get worse unless there are dramatic technological advances in desalination and we can bring water up from the Gulf of Cortez.

21. Basshappi

Basshappi

What do you want to know?