1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuff-bag to fit a Cleveland Bass?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by mcarrillomusic, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mcarrillomusic

mcarrillomusic

Hi there,

I need a new case for my New Standard Cleveland model bass: The New Standard Bass - Cleveland Model, and after doing my research I am between a safe bet Bobelock case: Cases and Bags for Double Bass-Soundwear, Bobelock, Mooradian, Reunion Blues and the good looking Tuff-bag: Upright Bass Case Cover

My problem is that my bass is a large 3/4 or small 7/8 in size and I don't know whether or not it will fit in these cases.

So here are a few questions:
    1. Can anyone compare the Tuff and the Bobelock? My main priorities are good padding and light weight.

2. Will my bass fit in the Tuff bag? I had almost decided to go with the Tuff but Stephen from String Emporium told me that my bass it's probably to big for the Tuff. Anyone with a similar experience?
    These are my bass' measures:
    String Length 42" / 106.7 cm.
    Body Length 45 1/4" / 114.9 cm. (back)
    Upper Bout 21 1/8" / 53.6 cm.
    Lower Bout 26" / 66.1 cm.

3. I have tried the Bobelock 3/4 on my bass before and it felt too tight, but I'm afraid the 7/8 will be too lose. Any insights?

Thanks everyone! I'll share thoughts after I make a final decision.
    Cheers!
  2. MrSidecar

MrSidecar

I've been using a Mooradian Deluxe for 10 years, and that's a good one. They offer made-to-measure (I suppose at no extra charge9 as well...

Best
    Sidecar
  3. tstone

tstone

4. mcarrillomusic

mcarrillomusic

Thanks guys. My problem is that I would like to order the Tuff (seems a bit sturdier than the Bobelock but still affordable), but what if it doesn't fit my Cleveland Bass?
    Anyone has it on a bass that is of similar size?
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

I own two Bobelock cases, one for each NS LaScala bass. They're great cases, and very lightweight for the amount of padding they give. There's one right behind me as I'm writing this, and when I was looking at the Tuffs site you linked, I can't see much difference between the Tuffs case and the Bobelock at all. Looking at one and then the other, the Tuffs looks pretty much exactly like a Bobelock with white patches stuck or sewn on to it.

At any rate, you could email Nick Lloyd in Cincy, as he sells both NS Cleveland basses and Bobelock bags, and would know what the fit was like. Hopefully someone here who has bought one from him will chime in.
  6. mcarrillomusic

mcarrillomusic

Ok, I did it.
    after having a few conversation with the very helpful folks at String Emporium I went for it and order the Tuff Bag. I know that I am taking a "risk" because it might not fit (The Cleveland's Upper Bout is quite large), but on the other hand, had I not done it, this case could be the perfect fit and I would have never known. The worst thing that can happen is that I gotta ship i back and get a Bobelock, but we'll see.

I'll post the results in a week when it gets here. Maybe also some pictures.

Thanks for the help people!
  7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

I think the design must be based from the Bobelock, but the stitching and handles (Bobelock has a few more) are different.

Hope the bag works out.
  8. pbasswil

pbasswil

Please do -- would love to know.

Thanks.
  9. mcarrillomusic

mcarrillomusic

Yeah, I noticed the Tuff bag doesn't that very convenient handle right in the middle to grab it from behind with one hand around the neck when you are wheeling the bass around.
    I hope I don't miss it.
    The case in general (pockets, materials, padding) seems a bit studier though.

I will definitely report back
  10. mcarrillomusic

mcarrillomusic

Hello everyone,

I finally got the Tuff Bag in today, and it fits my NS Cleveland perfectly.

It is a tight fit, so when you lift the bass from the handles with the bag on, the bass doesn't move inside, which I think is great to prevent bumps.

The case is very well padded (the padding seems thicker than the Bobelock) and seems very well made in general. I do miss that handle right in the middle though.

I have just put in on, if anyone is interested I can write back once I have used it for a couple of weeks or so, and comment on it's functionality, weight, etc

Take care!
  11. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

What is your final review of the Tuff Bag?
  12. johninmemphis

johninmemphis Supporting Member

Bump - would like to hear review also
  13. CrazyZeke

CrazyZeke

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist - Phil Jones Bass
    Hi, Here's an eight month and at least 20 gigs review of the Tuff Bug.

1. The bag padding has proved itself against my transport issues. In other words, it protects my Shen SB180 just right. Not overly heavy, but the edges, corners and neck are well protected.

2. The handles are well placed for me. I use a Gaines wheel and find the handle placement right where they are needed. I've had several lighter weight bags and had issues with handle locations. (I use an enclosed trailer for transport due to me having to provide the front-of-house PA system for my duo/trio gigs.)

3. The real strength to the design is the construction. Outstanding reinforcement at handle connections, zippers, and corners. Several previous gig bags literally began falling apart on me after six months of use. This bag had shown itself rock solid for the zippers and storage areas. Reinforced stitching with back-up pads at these areas. No sign of any stitching failures, rips, tears or wear holes at the corners. Ample padding at the back, bridge, and neck. The straps are high quality material and easy to adjust/remove. (Seems a lot of bag makers try to save themselves money in this area.)

4. The bag material is very durable. I've had previous bags that began wearing-thru the material at the points of contact between the bass and the floor. No evidence of this for the Tuff Bag.

Now, I considered several bags before I purchased the Tuff Bag, and feel I got a nice value with this item. Besides that, it has the "don't run over the bassist" reflective tape that has saved my bacon on several load-in/out occasions!
  14. mcarrillomusic

mcarrillomusic

Sorry for the late reply, but my here is my final review on the Tuff.

I won't do a point-by-point review of it, because CrazyZeke has just done that for me, and I can subscribe all of his points.

In general, it's a really well made bag, which fits my NS Cleveland nicely. Really easy to move around, light weight and the padding makes me feel secure about carrying my bass around.

I need a new bag for my nice old French bass and I am buying another Tuff bag. It's the best I've tried so far.