1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tune my bass like a guitar or vice versa?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I primarily play six string bass (BEADGC), but I also have a guitar that I play around with on occasion. I've decided to restring the guitar to baritone tuning, which is normally BEADF#B. I was thinking that for the sake of familiarity I should tune the two instruments the same way.

The question is, should I tune the guitar in straight fourths or put a major third on the bass? Im leaning towards putting the guitar in fourths because I play more lead than rhythm/chords and because straight fourths makes more logical sense, but... The traditional guitar tuning must be so widespread for a reason, right? What do you guys think?
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

The guitar tuning is the way it is to allow for easier chordal playing, at least so I've been always told. I think with a tuning like that you wouldn't play full barré chords anyhow, so tuning in fourths will initially be easier to get into.

You could see how you fare, and if you hit any roadblocks, try the traditional way. Playing guitar always throws me off when playing scales over more than two octaves because of the major third in there...
  3. TL5

TL5

My opinion s do what works for you.

My fretless bass is five string strung to the high side EADGC or EADGB
    I change the tuning from time to time, especially if I'm playing in the key of G/Em. The G/b root/third interval is always there open or as a harmonic.
  4. Jensby design

Jensby design

My 6-string bass was tuned EADGBE (like bass VI) when I played my Wife down the aisle at our wedding to Bach's Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, in G.
    I like to use alternate tunings from time to time, its a good way to make yourself play differently but I always default back to standard :rolleyes: well, "my standard" (F#BEADG) :rolleyes: