1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuner Post Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Old Fart, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

I'm making improvements in the setup of my new (used) 2004 Precision and all is well, but the tuning machines do not turn smoothly. The big hex nuts that hold the machine heads onto the headstock are only finger tight. I wonder if they should be gently snugged down so they are more than simply finger tight. This is the hex nut that sits at the bottom of the tuning post, against the front of the headstock, under the string that is wound around the post.

Also, I wonder if I should lube the post. I imagine it is simply a bushing (as opposed to a roller bearing). I wonder if a tiny bit of moly grease or maybe just lithium grease should be around the post, to ensure smooth operation.
  2. Arial Bender

Arial Bender Supporting Member

Snug with wrench, I use areal light gun oil.
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

I'd be wary of using oil - if there's a grease in place, it can dissolve it, leaving you unprotected.
  4. Arial Bender

Arial Bender Supporting Member

That makes sense, most of my basses are old pawn shop/craigslist finds that have been neglected.
  5. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I really don't think any lube is needed on the post/bushing or the gears. Strings are kept in tune thru the friction of the tuner and the gear ratio pressure. The only time tuners are operated excessively is when you change strings, after that, very small movements are needed to keep the instrument in tune. Making the tuner ultra smooth may lessen it's string holding ability.
    Rocky
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you want to lube a tuner, do it with graphite. That isn't oily and won't draw dust and turn into an abrasive.

PS: my band's name is Vintage Winds - which means Old Farts.
  7. Old Fart

Old Fart

That's a cool band name.