tuner question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by unclebass, Feb 24, 2014.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I am considering replacing the tuners on a bass I own, and am thinking about reversing the keys and mounting them backwards, so that the key is closer to the body than the string post. Wondering if anyone has done this, and if so, how it worked out.

2. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm intrigued... what is the reasoning/motivation behind your proposed tuner modification?

3. unclebass

unclebass

I saw in the classifieds that someone sold a neck that had the tuners mounted this way. I have a set of tuners that have the exact screw spacing as the old tuners, but the old ones are 24:1 and the new are 19:1. The different ratio moves the string post just slightly so that the screw holes on the headstock don't quite line up with new tuners. They are very close, so close that if I drilled new holes, they would overlap the old holes. If I were to mount them backwards, I would avoid the original screw holes and make new ones.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Just fill the holes with dowel plugs and redrill new ones.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

^ If the hole locations are that close, the old holes should be covered while allowing the tuners to appear "standard."

Will "reversing" the tuners also reverse the direction of the tuner as compared to the standard orientation?

7. unclebass

unclebass

4 inline Fender style headstock. Where would you get hardwood toothpicks? I used standard toothpicks pressed into screw holes for the pickguard, as it appears that there may have been more than one pickguard installed on this bass. Most of the holes were so large and oval that the screws were barely catching at all. Standard toothpicks worked for this because there is very little pressure needed to hold a pickguard down. If I can get hardwood toothpicks, that would solve my problems.

Reversing tuner would require turning tuner the opposite direction to achieve string tension.