1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuner Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pentatonic, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Pentatonic

Pentatonic

Looking for a reccomemdation for a good reliable tuner for general tuning needs and setups. I assume a pedal would be the most versatile? So far I've looked briefly online at the Boss TU-3 and TC Polytune.

I just ordered a Genz-Benz Contour 500 210 which has a tuner out port if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
  2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Korg pitch black is great.
  3. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i love my tc electronic polytune. hit the button and it mutes the signal to the amp. hit all 4/5/6 strings at the same time and it tells you if any or all strings are out of pitch. strobe or dial and has a usb port for future firmware updates. excellent construction also.
  4. ggunn

ggunn

The tool you need for onstage tuning and the one you need to set intonation may not be the same one. In general, tuners with LED readout and those that clip on the headstock are good enough for stage work but not accurate enough to set intonation. I have a Conn Strobotuner that I use for setups but it never leaves the house.
  5. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

Polytune for me. Very accurate and easy to read. It doesn't come with a pwr. supply but takes a 9v. The Mini version doesn't have room for a battery and only runs off a wall-wart. Peterson makes digital strobe tuners for about the same price that may be better for set-ups.
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I've used the Boss TU-3 for years. It's handy because I can quickly switch basses while it's muted for tuning. I also like my little clip-on Snark tuner.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Whenever feasable, I like to use the old rack tuners. Hard to find these days though. And admittedly, they're not real handy to take out to gigs. A Pitchblack would probably make more sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

+ 1 for the TC polytune.

I've got the TC and Korg Pitchblack and both work well, but on a dark stage the TC is easier for me to read. I've also got a 9V PS for use when an outlet is available, but I've also used both for 4~5 set jobs running off a battery and the battery lasts longer in the TC than it does the Korg.

Either are good, I just prefer the TC.
  10. Pentatonic

Pentatonic

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Has anyone got their hands on a Korg Pitchblack Pro yet? Looks like a nice unit with an intuitive, very easy to read display.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

For me a floor tuner is better than a rack tuner, I don't like to turn my back on the audience too much.

I guess all the usual suspects have been mentioned; any of the TU-3, Pitchblack, Turbo and Polytunes will do the job.
  12. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

I have used many different tuners and always come back to Peterson!!!...if your setups..this will certainly help you Too!!!
    http://www.petersontuners.com/
  13. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I can vouch for the Boss. Been using the TU models for years for all guitars on stage with great results.
  14. Pentatonic

Pentatonic

Thanks everyone.

I ended up ordering the Turbo Tuner for its accuracy.

Can't wait!
  15. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Good call.
    I've used lots of tuners over the years both in my own rigs and guitar teching on the road and the Turbo Tuner is easily the most bang for buck in the history of guitar tuners. If I had to use only one tuner it would without question be this one.