1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tuners "bending"

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaptainTuna, Dec 15, 2012.

1. CaptainTuna

CaptainTuna

Hey everyone,

got a problem that with my tuners that looks really scary to my eyes. The tuners (only 2 out of 4 though) are "coming out" of the headstock by a few millimeters. Why is this happening? What should I do? Any tips?

Thank you in advance. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the tuners looks bent on the "inner part" as well, though the other one looks fine on the inside.
    [​IMG]

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Remove tuners.
    Remove bushings that are pulling loose.
    Paint the wood inside the bushing hole with super glue. (Put it on the wood, not the bushing)
    Insert bushing and immediately tap firmly into place with a soft object.
    Re-install tuners.

Done.

3. CaptainTuna

CaptainTuna

Thanks for your answer! It sounds really doable. Last two questions:

- You simply mentioned super glue. Would simple "loctice glue" suffice or do I need something specific?

- Do I have to do this asap? Is it ok if I wait a month or so before doing this or could the problem get worse in some way?

4. Steveaux

Steveaux

As long as "loctice" = Loctite, and the label says "cyanoacrylate", you're good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CaptainTuna

CaptainTuna

Oops, yeah, sorry for the mistake. I just meant generic-use glue (I actually thought it was "loctice"). I'll keep an eye on the label then!

7. Pilgrim

If the tuner posts angle a bit from the string pull, it won't hurt anything. You do need to get those bushings secured, and it's about a 20-minute job becaue the superglue sets up immediately. It's probably not critical to do this week, but sooner is better than later.

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

the idea with superglue here is not to glue the bushing in place, but to make the hole a little smaller with a layer of dried glue, so that the bushing push-fits more tightly into the hole.

i'll usually put the glue on the bushing instead of the hole, but it's the same principle of making the parts tighter for a better press-fit.

9. Pilgrim

I bow to Walter - I had in mind gluing the bushings in place. I learn something new every day.