1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tuners: Noise Interference

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by pbasswil, Jan 28, 2014.

1. pbasswil

pbasswil

Hi there,

I did a gig with my Eminence the other day in a really noisy club.

As often happens, the din prevented my clip-on tuner from separating out my string pitch -- wild fluctation, no decisive readout.
    This is typical.

So I plugged my pickup's signal into a Korg Pitchblack tuner. To my surprise, the Korg also could not tune in that environment!
    As far as I know, the Pitchblack doesn't have any kind of microphone, it only sees the signal from the 1/4" jack.

The next day I tried the p.u. into the Korg at home. No problem tuning.

?? Has anyone else experienced that kind of noise interference with a traditional (non-clip-on/non-contact type of) tuner?

If so, what are the best pedal tuners for coping with noisy and vibration-filled environments?

Thanks in advance,

- Peter
  2. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

I've had that same issue with plug-in tuners once in a while.

I try tuning the octave harmonic instead when it has trouble picking up the open strings.
  3. pbasswil

pbasswil

Yup, me too -- I automatically hit the harmonic if it doesn't lock on right away.
    But this place was so noisy, even that didn't do it.

I can only imagine that the whole bass is vibrating with the full spectrum of frequencies from the racket in there!

Thanks for corroboration that even trad. tuners have their limits, Brian.

- Peter
  4. tcl

tcl

I suspect that the issue isn't noise from the crowd, but noise from their cell-phones or other electro-magnetic interference. Even FM radio can mess you up, in my experience. Try a shielded cable into your pedal tuner. I don't think there's much you can do about your bridge tuner other than to set it on vibration instead of mic, or move to a different location 50+ feet away.
  5. pbasswil

pbasswil

As far as I know, all guitar type cables are shielded, are they not??

Probably you know more about these things than me, but there was no problem whatsoever with other signals bleeding into the audio, so I'd be puzzled that they'd interfere with both a contact tuner and a signal tuner.

The crowd was loud, but the DJ was much louder while I was trying to tune between sets.
  6. RSBBass

RSBBass

I am with TCI, it is most likely electrical interference. Most quality amps circuits filter out most of it which is why you did not hear it. I doubt a better cable would make much difference unless your cable is microphonic (i.e. makes noise when you move it).
  7. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

When the battery in my clip-on starts to get a little old, it has trouble locking on notes, especially in loud rooms. I might be going out on limb here, but a loud DJ is probably more of an issue than electrical interference in this case.
    -Jeff
  8. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Agreed. A room full of blasting subwoofers will make any kind of tuning difficult. Is there a back room somewhere where you can go and tune?