Tuners upgrade

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by korotkov, Mar 1, 2014.

1. korotkov

korotkov

Simply put, Is it a good idea to upgrade my tuning machines from very cheap Chinese to regular Chinese ( I'm not sure of the origin it's just what it looks to me)?

I've had these tuners on my bass for quite a while and I don't like the ratio, as well as the looks. I've recently acquired what might be a slight upgrade but I'm still not sure if it's a good idea. Maybe I should sell both and upgrade to some new lever ( I'm completely unaware of the modern makers, maybe someone could give me some names). Or maybe I just shouldn't fix it cause it ain't broken

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Waste of money. There's neglible benefit - not even looks.

Save your pennies and upgrade to a new instrument.

3. korotkov

korotkov

Hey thanks for the reply. Not sure why I should upgrade to a different bass though. This is a nice carved Czech bass circa 1950s with the Chinese tuners being not original to it.

I've just found out that the ones I've acquired are Rubner made tyrolean tuners. I'm still not sure if this is a good idea to upgrade cause the ones I have now function quite well actually :)

4. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Rubner tuning mechanics are one of the best you can get. You can even get replacement parts for them. At least keep them for your instrument even if you want to stick with the chinese ones yet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. korotkov

korotkov

Thank you doublemidi, I think I'll be sticking with the ones I have for some time. I was actually thinking of getting tuners with wooden pegs cause I find them better suiting the thicker gut and gut-like strings I'm now using. I'm not sure of the effect that change may cause to the sound of the instrument however

I'm not sure if the material (wood) of the tuner pegs matters really. On one of my basses I've got wooden pegs of some cheaper ebonized wich was used for cheaper product line I presume and they work ok. I've seen ebony and rosewood pegs in production and I don't think there's a major difference between the two