Tuners...would you consider these?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by unclebass, Feb 26, 2014.

1. unclebass

unclebass

I am looking to replace tuners on a bass I recently acquired. The originals are 24:1 and have what appears to be brass gears that have begun to strip. I would possibly have to redrill for new screw mount holes, but that is not a problem.

Would you take a chance and buy these?
    http://www.tmart.com/4pcs-Bass-Machine-Heads-Tuning-Pegs-Club-Button-Silver_p129200.html

They are 22:1 if I counted right. The tuners I currently have on have a real narrow gear. These have a main gear that is at least twice as wide as the one I am replacing. They look like they might be o.k. but would like your opinion. This is the first bass on which I have ever needed to replace tuners. If these were the same as Squier standards, I would definitely be happy with them. Now for your opinions...
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I think I would pass. I just don't see a quality tuner selling for under 15 bucks
  3. unclebass

unclebass

I have a Squier standard jazz bass and have no problem with the tuners that came on it. I see they are available new on Ebay for about $25 shipped. May go that way. I really don't want to spend alot on this bass in case I don't bond with it. But I think that anything will be an improvement over the brass gear tuners it has now.
    If I could get replacement gears for these tuners, I would definitely do it. I can't find replacement gears anywhere!
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Why? Got something against brass? Replacing perfectly functioning tuners is about the LAST thing I'd do to a Squier bass.

I can't imagine for the life of me how your tuners are stripped ... :meh:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. unclebass

unclebass

Tuners not on a Squier bass. Large gear on back of tuner has about 1/3 of teeth missing. Keeps jumping when you try to tighten string. Just acquired this bass, don't know what brand of tuners these are. Bass is very light, thinking lightweight tuners is how they achieved the overall weight of bass. I have owned several Fender and Squier basses, never had any gears even come close to wearing teeth on tuner. And the bass I acquired is only 2 years old.
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    The cool thing is they are reversible. You can use them left or right just by turning the clover around. Great for 3+1 or 2+2
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Really? The chrome Gotohs go for $12.50 each. Pro quality tuners.
  9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Those run the risk of breaking under tension. I can see the weak spot between the elephant ear part and the part that contacts the gear itself. It thins out there.
  10. unclebass

unclebass

Tuners in link are $14 for set of 4.
  11. Hopkins

The tuners in the link are under 15 bucks for the whole set, not individually.
  12. Hopkins

Then again OP, for $15 it may be worth the gamble. Even if they are terrible your are only out 15 bucks, if they are useable then even better.
  13. JustForSport

JustForSport

I don't see any faults from the photos- and they look to be reversible as mentioned.
    Plus, it looks like they'll mount flat to the headstock- not like some others that are not well thought out.
    $15 w/ free shipping- just use a wee bit of lube, and likely a good risk.
  14. Hopkins

15. unclebass

unclebass

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
  17. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I found some rather inexpensive tuners on eBay. I have been using them for a few months rather extensively and they work great. Keep my Squier in tune, look great and function great. You cant beat it IMO. I could imagine these not being good for some, but they are perfect for me. I cant afford to spend $100 on tuners. These work wonderfully though.

These are pretty much what I got:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pcs-Right...-FITS-FENDER-GUITAR-TUNING-PEGS-/160949899370

And here is my Squier. Im super happy with the results and again, they work and function perfectly. For me.

[​IMG]
  18. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Though they look to be reversible, they are listed as 2 left and 2 right, although that's not what the photo shows. Also, the listing says the set includes 8 screws, but you will need 16, though, once again the photo shows 16.

Do you wonder if the tuners are of the same quality as the listing?
  19. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Wow. Someone bunged that up real good for ya! Used tuners come up here for sale from time to time.
  20. unclebass

unclebass

Just picked up a set of used tuners. Will see if they fit, likely have to fill and redrill mount screw holes. Refinishing headstock anyway, so not a big deal.