Tuners

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpacewitchIan, Dec 10, 2013.

1. SpacewitchIan

SpacewitchIan

I'm having trouble finding a suitable tuner. Most seem designed for guitar rather than bass and a few I have tried have difficulty with low end (especially as I tune to drop Bb). The only really reliable one I have used is my guitar player's Boss Chromatic Tuner pedal - but I don't really want the hassle of an extra pedal, especially as I will pretty much stay in tune all night and don't need to tune between songs unless I bump a tuning peg on somerthing which is rare.
    I just need something that will give me a quick, hassle-free tune up before I go on stage - a "clip on" would be ideal, but the ones I have tried struggle with bass frequencies. Ideas?

2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I know what you mean about having another pedal, but it doesn't have to stay on all night. I just plug my bass in at the start of the set, tune up, and put the pedal aside, thus using it like you would a non-pedal tuner. Saves batteries too. An amp with a tuner out output gets it out of your way, too. So don't discount the Boss just because it's a pedal. I believe TC does a good tuner pedal for bass, too.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You'll be hard pressed to find a clip-on that will pick up a low Bb reliably, especially in noisy environments.

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

My Planet Waves and Snark tuners pick up a low A just fine. You may have to find the right spot on the headstock. Or tune to the 12th fret harmonic....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

Snark is the best clip on tuner I have used for 5 string bass

7. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

This is what I do routinely with my garden-variety clip-on tuner. Works fine.