1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Tuners

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpacewitchIan, Dec 10, 2013.

1. SpacewitchIan

SpacewitchIan

Dec 14, 2012
    I'm having trouble finding a suitable tuner. Most seem designed for guitar rather than bass and a few I have tried have difficulty with low end (especially as I tune to drop Bb). The only really reliable one I have used is my guitar player's Boss Chromatic Tuner pedal - but I don't really want the hassle of an extra pedal, especially as I will pretty much stay in tune all night and don't need to tune between songs unless I bump a tuning peg on somerthing which is rare.
    I just need something that will give me a quick, hassle-free tune up before I go on stage - a "clip on" would be ideal, but the ones I have tried struggle with bass frequencies. Ideas?

2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    I know what you mean about having another pedal, but it doesn't have to stay on all night. I just plug my bass in at the start of the set, tune up, and put the pedal aside, thus using it like you would a non-pedal tuner. Saves batteries too. An amp with a tuner out output gets it out of your way, too. So don't discount the Boss just because it's a pedal. I believe TC does a good tuner pedal for bass, too.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You'll be hard pressed to find a clip-on that will pick up a low Bb reliably, especially in noisy environments.

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    My Planet Waves and Snark tuners pick up a low A just fine. You may have to find the right spot on the headstock. Or tune to the 12th fret harmonic....

6. Snark is the best clip on tuner I have used for 5 string bass

7. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered Panther Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    This is what I do routinely with my garden-variety clip-on tuner. Works fine.