1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tung's new monster Prat Contrabass Guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tungx, Jan 10, 2014.

1. tungx

tungx

Hi! I'm Tung, musician from St. Louis. I'm having a new bass built by Prat Basses. This will be my second custom bass; the first was my Fodera Anthony Jackson Contrabass Guitar which I ordered in 1988, so here we are, over 25 years later!!

More details to follow!

:bassist:
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Congrats man, Oscar is the best in the business.
  3. tungx

tungx

A grand piano has 88 keys, 88 different notes. My new instrument will have 84 different notes, will have a lower range than a piano, but will not go as high.

woods involved: wenge, padauk, maple, buckeye burl, maybe swamp ash

headless
  4. tungx

tungx

headless
    2-pickups
    multi-scale 34"-37"
    wenge fingerboard
    28 frets
    curly maple/padouk neck
    buckeye burl top
    18mm string spacing
    peanut butter finish
  5. tungx

tungx

.. and 12 strings..
  6. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    Cool! I love Oscar's work. This one sounds interesting. Peanut butter finish? Do tell.
  7. tungx

tungx

Yes, peanut butter. See, first it's hydrolized, using a silver nitrite solution, and then cauterized briefly in a 550 degree oven.

The result is a beautiful finish that smells nice and gives you a little extra energy! :hyper:

Of course, in reality, it's gonna be a lacquer finish!
  8. tungx

tungx

Some folks question whether a full-range instrument like this (12-strings) is still a bass. That's a tough question.

When we say "bass", aren't we really just saying a short name for bass guitar? Leo Fender designed the Precision with 4 strings, as on an acoustic upright bass. It could just as well have been designed with 6 strings as on a guitar, but an octave lower.
  9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Of course, the Bass VI was exactly that.
  10. tungx

tungx

So here are a couple of shots of woods. The top is buckeye burl. I've chosen the darker one (wenge fingerboard) but it's not set in stone. The lighter one is padauk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. PaPaVB20

PaPaVB20

Oscar is indeed the best! Will follow this thread closely, I'm sure it will be an incredible bass!
  12. tungx

tungx

13. tungx

tungx

14. Nightman

Nightman Supporting Member

Interesting!! Keep us posted!! :cool: