1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tuning 6 string bass to EBGDAE

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pollyfoot, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Pollyfoot

Pollyfoot

Hi I am Pollyfoot the new boy who has played classical guitar at hobby level but I have always loved the bass sound and have been told that it is possible to tune a 6 string bass to guitar setting by buying a string set for a 7 string bass and discarding a string.
    I can hear you groaning already but which string should I discard and is this really possible. It does mean I could play a lot of my music although it will be at an octave lower.
    If you could help I shall be forever in your debt

2. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Yes, you would discard the biggest string. Also you mean EADGBE tuning.

3. Pollyfoot

Pollyfoot

Thanks for that and at some speed. Regards pollyfoot

4. atheos

atheos

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

There are instruments that are designed for that tuning. They're usually called baritone guitars, and they usually have a shorter scale and narrower string spacing than the instrument we call a 6-string bass. The Bass VI mentioned above is one, there's also Danelectro and some others. As a guitarist you might find these more comfortable. Just something you might want to look into.

7. Jensby design

Jensby design

8. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

IMHO playing any kind of chord work on a standard 6-er would be tedious. Fretboards are reeeaallly wide compared to even a classical guitar neck... I dunno. Maybe I've got small hands. +1 to atheos, bass VI is a good option for that kinda stuff I'd say.

9. TapyTap

TapyTap

In this video, Abraham Laboriel is playing his bass precisely as you have mentioned: EADGBE